Micro 4/3 Why I keep a tele zoom in the kit bag.

Livnius

Top Veteran
Name
Joe
Like many of you folks here I tend to shoot primes in the 28-50mm range...be it the GR(28), the RX1(35-ish) or my personal favourite the Pana Leica 25(50 eqv)...and like many of you I just find primes to be easier to shoot with, once I get my head around a particular focal length it's almost as if I can set my eyes to that FOV....zooms usually only confuse me, that being said, I really appreciate having a compact zoom in the kit bag, you just never know when it could come in handy like the little Pana 45-150 (90-300mm eqv) came in handy recently when I came across 2 really amazing Spanish guitarists busking on the streets here in Melbourne.

Glad I had this tele zoom tucked away in the bottom of my kit bag, got a few shots that I simply could not have with the GR....the shots took but a minute, I did however stick around and listened to their whole intoxicating set...as did just about everyone present.

14034509304_92a59d4c60_b.jpg
Flamenco Guitar1 by Livnius, on Flickr

14054080033_156998efe7_b.jpg
Flamenco Guitar2 by Livnius, on Flickr

14030880631_5ff9e209a5_b.jpg
Flamenco Guitar3 by Livnius, on Flickr

14034515004_06dd3b52f9_b.jpg
Flamenco Guitar4 by Livnius, on Flickr

14030877881_6cc806c965_b.jpg
Flamenco Guitar5 by Livnius, on Flickr

Beautifully seen Joe - really nice! If I'd have used a tele-zoom on these guys I'd have probably gotten a couple of OK shots of their faces, maybe backed it out enough to get a full shot of the two of them, etc. But the nuance you got here with the guitars, the hands, the whole relationship between the two of them as seen at the level of the instrument.... Well, I'd have never seen it that way and I'm really admiring the way you do see this kind of thing. I remember some street work you did with a longer lens, either the 75 or the 35-100, that I thought was really brilliant - also the kind of thing I'd have never seen that way. These bring that to mind. You see really well with the longer stuff - don't hide from it...

-Ray

Thanks guys....glad you liked this little set.

Oh Joe, these shots are just wonderful!!
Thanks Sue...I just wish I could've shared their sounds with you too....their guitar playing was quite phenomenal.

Beautifully seen Joe - really nice! If I'd have used a tele-zoom on these guys I'd have probably gotten a couple of OK shots of their faces, maybe backed it out enough to get a full shot of the two of them, etc. But the nuance you got here with the guitars, the hands, the whole relationship between the two of them as seen at the level of the instrument.... Well, I'd have never seen it that way and I'm really admiring the way you do see this kind of thing. I remember some street work you did with a longer lens, either the 75 or the 35-100, that I thought was really brilliant - also the kind of thing I'd have never seen that way. These bring that to mind. You see really well with the longer stuff - don't hide from it...
-Ray
Thanks a lot Ray. Infrequently I have tinkered with these longer lenses on the street and I've found that although they are far from what I instinctively reach for and what my eye naturally sees, I do quite often like the end result, the feel if you will, that 'tele' compression can have on images taken in tight urban environments. It took quite a bit of experimentation to figure out that if I was to stray outside of 28-50mm on the street, then I much preferred to stray ultra-long rather than ultra-wide....when I tried the Pana 7-14mm on the street it felt like my brain was going into meltdown trying to compose such a vast expanse into a single frame !

Those are great - but your argument could also be one in favour of m43; not the same chance you would have had a 90-300mm APS-C lens in your day kit.... let alone a FF lens at these lengths.
Absolutely...given my own preferences and restrictions as to what I am willing to carry then absolutely yes, I cannot see myself ever carrying around a FF 90-300....especially not in this way where it is a bottom of the bag only to be used once in a blue moon type lens. I can easily see myself with another FF 'fixed prime compact' such as the RX1 again at some stage (I still live in hope of seeing a 45mm to 50mm RX1 one day)....FF zooms however, probably never.

These look great, and that you can do them with a lens as tiny as the 45-150mm is pretty awesome too.
Thanks Nic. It is pretty awesome...even more so considering it's very usefully long lens that is not only barely 15mm longer in size than the PL25 but can easily had for around $220. Despite a couple of gaps, the amount of lenses (of varying quality, price range and size) released into the m43 ecosystem is quite impressive.

Agreed 100% - spotted these early this morning on Flickr but didn't have time to react - wonderful series, love your post processing that to me emphasizes the intensity of their playing. Really, really well done, Joe.:drinks::bravo-009:

Next time, record some video, extract the audio, and use it as the audio track for a slide show!

It really is a nice set, and some audio would push it even further.

Thanks John...I've never really considered doing something like that, sounds like something that would be great to try and will definitely give it a shot the next time I'm able to shoot around a theme such as this.

Agreed 100% - spotted these early this morning on Flickr but didn't have time to react - wonderful series, love your post processing that to me emphasizes the intensity of their playing. Really, really well done, Joe.:drinks::bravo-009:

Thank you BB :)

That 45-150 is a great little lens. Small, Compact and very reasonably priced. It's only £199 here in the UK. Bargain!! I think I will have to pick one up at some point.

Great images by the way

Back