A week with the GoPro Hero 3+

Ripleysbaby

supernatural anesthetist
Name
Garry
I have been enjoying the simplicity of my iPhone lately. The video bit mostly. But I've always fancied a GoPro.
Ok, it's not an insignificant investment so a bit of a gamble as to wether I would bond with such a beast.
Well I have. Pretty impressed actually . I thought the 1080 60fps footage looked good on my iMac but on the bigger TV I was gob smacked ! Such fantastic quality from a little box !
I'm still getting my head around the operation. The iPhone app works very well and has been a great help in making it easier to use.
Now all I need to do is brush up on my editing. Oh I won't be using the 4k settings any time soon. My iMac is only just managing 1080 !

Stills ? I wasn't expecting much from the GoPro jpegs but they are not bad at all. In fact one of my first stills with this camera has become one of my favourites , that made it worth the price straight away. They seem to be able to take a lot of punishment in Snapseed too.

I think I'm going to enjoy using this camera as long as I treat it as fun.
4umaza2u.jpg

Santa brought one for my wife because she really wanted one (despite the fact that we have too many cameras we don't use, but Santa likes to keep her happy ;)). I (I mean Santa) also thought I'd use it once in awhile, but I can't get my head around the concept of a camera with NO viewfinder (and I mean no LCD screen as well).....just frame by guessing because it's wide enough to capture everything.

Needless to say she has used it twice and me not even once. Santa is quite unhappy and thinks he needs a Sigma DP Merrill instead. ;)

My son has one which he uses when he is diving - quite a lot - it always sounds like the bath water is running away and he needs to take a course in keeping still then he may get the odd good image - but he likes it.
My daughters fiasco, (sorry fiancée), has just bought one …… he seems to use it a lot - he cycles, (i.e. uses a bike), to work in Central London and has it attached to his helmet and also uses it for general photography

I bought them both off another photo forum …… one unused the other used 3 times ……… both as new with all the bits …… and still with 20 mths left of the 2 year GoPro warranty …… people seem to buy them and then either like them and keep them…… or don't like them at all and sell them quickly ……… I bought both for £75 less than the retail price …….. so you can get a used one at a good price in the UK if you check around.

Yes, I have a 30 year old who generally supports herself but doesn't ever seem to buy any food! I also have one happily married and in charge of the finances and the youngest who just assumes that we can be persuaded to pay her car insurance otherwise she won't be able to work :eek: As for the go pro, Garry's pics of the feisty Buster prove its worth the cost. I have a friend who's wife bought him one to use whilst skiing although I suspect she thought it might make him more cautious .... Wrong.....

Who in their right mind behaves when there's a video camera present?

I see what you mean

such a "nice" man - only 2.7 million views

There was a time in the UK when HE, (Higher Education) and (Further Education - FE), was effectively totally free for most, in fact the government paid for your accommodation and meals and depending on your personal situation even gave you "spending money" in addition
Many of the current population benefited from this system, the country did in that it's population received good higher education and advanced skills and many have been personally successful because of this policy …..etc.

Then "means" testing came in but at least the Government paid all the University tuition fees of most students and people in HE and FE

Now if you want HE you pay for everything …. tuition, accommodation, meals and your life at University

whilst we all realised that the "free system" could not go on for ever …….. certain political parties in the UK were against the full costs of Tuition being paid for by the Students

Education is an investment in the country and it's people and really cannot only be measured in financial terms and certainly not in short term financial terms … this is what the vid is about, bloody politicians and the way they never deliver what they promised ……. one of the oldest stories in the "book"

Maybe our (past) system in the UK is difficult for most people in the US and other countries to understand

So, Garry - you do not actually see what you're photographing or videoing (is that the term?) with the GoPro? Or does the iPhone act as a viewfinder for you?

I've been enjoying your GoPro photos with the boys a great deal - I like the feeling I get of being right there on the spot.:drinks:

I have been enjoying the simplicity of my iPhone lately. The video bit mostly. But I've always fancied a GoPro.
Ok, it's not an insignificant investment so a bit of a gamble as to wether I would bond with such a beast.
Well I have. Pretty impressed actually . I thought the 1080 60fps footage looked good on my iMac but on the bigger TV I was gob smacked ! Such fantastic quality from a little box !
I'm still getting my head around the operation. The iPhone app works very well and has been a great help in making it easier to use.
Now all I need to do is brush up on my editing. Oh I won't be using the 4k settings any time soon. My iMac is only just managing 1080 !

Stills ? I wasn't expecting much from the GoPro jpegs but they are not bad at all. In fact one of my first stills with this camera has become one of my favourites , that made it worth the price straight away. They seem to be able to take a lot of punishment in Snapseed too.

I think I'm going to enjoy using this camera as long as I treat it as fun.
4umaza2u.jpg

How do you compose the images? Is there a screen or viewfinder?

Cheers, Jock

How do you compose the images? Is there a screen or viewfinder?

Cheers, Jock

I use the GoPro app on my iphone. It works very well . It's also easier to change the camera settings using the app. Yes phone and camera battery life suffer because of the wifi use but I'm sorted for power wit extra batt for camera and power monkey solar for my phone. I am very pleased with the whole outfit . And I still can't get over just how good the video is.

So, Garry - you do not actually see what you're photographing or videoing (is that the term?) with the GoPro? Or does the iPhone act as a viewfinder for you?

I've been enjoying your GoPro photos with the boys a great deal - I like the feeling I get of being right there on the spot.:drinks:

Thanks BB. The phone allows you to compose using the phones screen but the image goes blank when you press record. So there are still limits to work around. However, you can leave the camera set on its widest angle and be sure you will still get everything in . Stills work the same as any other camera .

Back