I do it up BIG on the Fourth of July

and here's some from the festivities last night.......
14569452561_57300311f8_c.jpg
DSCF7112 by Luke Lavin, on Flickr

this one shot blind....I liked the energy of the crookedness so I left it.
14592913653_bda5d2b084_b.jpg
DSCF7115 by Luke Lavin, on Flickr

This one's not so great, but I liked the juxtaposition of the kids playing on the giant slide and my lovely wife pounding down a "Lime-a-rita" which is some sort of malt liquor corn syrup thing. A little too sweet, but it packed a good punch. Just enough to anesthetize oneself from the crazies that show up to events like this.
14386198969_55c23752f4_c.jpg
DSCF7099 by Luke Lavin, on Flickr

Then I asked for to pose for another drinking shot with a nicer more colorful backdrop. The light was fading fast, though and the slower shutter speed means mid-blink droopy eyes. This was only her second one so despite the fact that she looks loaded, it's just not the case.
14572802115_711aa85a3c_b.jpg
DSCF7100 by Luke Lavin, on Flickr

this one's a little more wholesome.....the ticket booth and popcorn wagon.....
14571998482_28a5d2e057_b.jpg
DSCF7106 by Luke Lavin, on Flickr

I like the idea of you being in a village ...

anyhoo, I reckon there's an interesting crop (+ conversion to mono) for that popcorn wagon/booth one.

We live in a small town that does stuff like this too, but at the moment we're out at the Jersey Shore, where various 4th of July activities / celebrations were planned. Unfortunately, we're getting Arthur's left-overs today, it's raining cats and dogs, the island is flooded to the point that there's not much point in going anywhere, and we're basically binging on Lillihammer on Netflix. I can think of worse ways to spend a rainy day - pretty hilarious stuff...

Happy 4th all!

-Ray

Thanks Rajiv! I thought maybe my heavy-handed processing was a bit much, but I like the colors and his expression and the angle and accidental shot from the hip "rule of thirds"-ness to it.

Paul, I would have never thought to drain the color from a carnival shot. When trying to decide how to crop, I decided that the composition is a bit of a mess without a clear subject. The woman at the ticket booth is looking out of the frame, and the couple buying popcorn in the background are just so far our of it. I should have spent more time here and gotten something really good, but my wife was with the dogs and I felt rushed. I hate making them wait, but I can;t bring a camera to a place like this and NOT fire off a few.

I just took out any extraneous stuff, but I think this is the best I can do......
14386691098_89be5185d7_b.jpg
DSCF7106bw by Luke Lavin, on Flickr

What ideas did you have looking at it?

Dunno really, Luke. A square crop of the LHS with an economy pack of of contrast and a shake of graininess I suppose.

But you know, it's a nice photo, and what I'd do if it were mine is kind of neither here nor there

But there is something about the girl in the booth that cries out for a kind of '50s reportage stylee, a Robert Frank sort of vibe crossed with Moriyama.

Atlantic City or New Jersey rather than Greendale WI

Hang on, I'll get my coat before I disappear up my own fundament ...

Back