2nd trip to the mother ship: hmmmm... should I be worried?

wt21

Hall of Famer
Second trip to B&H today. Got more time to look around. Spent more time at the new desk.

People are super-friendly, and ready to talk gear. Had a great chat with an MF guy. He's shooting Fuji, of course :)

But I did ask about mirrorless. There was a couple next to me buying NEX. My mirrorless of choice is m43. I talked to several of the guys there. Most of them, if the were using mirrorless, were either NEX or Fuji. Meanwhile, I was scoping m43 lenses, wondering if it's an investment in the wrong direction.

Doesn't matter, I still bought an Oly 17/1.8. I tried out the NEX, RX1, Canon 135/2 on a 5Diii and then Oly 17 and 75. The 17 is like the ignored little lens. Focuses real close, and is quite small. I like it better than the Panny 20/1.7.

Any rate, just left me wondering about investing in m43. My second visit really left me feeling like NEX has marketing/brand momentum, even if the lenses aren't there.

I recently traded a XE1 plus lenses for a second OMD plus assorted lenses. Then I traded my original OMD for more lenses. For the time being, m4/3 is still the most mature and well rounded system. However, I see myself eventually fully gravitating towards the Fuji's (especially after Fuji improves the AF and the Zeiss lenses are released).

I got the 17/1.8 too. I really like it. Easily one of my favorite m4/3 lens.

I have yet to physically visit the mother ship. Although I sure visit the virtual ship quite often.

I'm fortunate in that I work in New York City and get to visit B&H on a regular basis. Adorama, too, but not quite as often because they're located farther downtown. It's like Disney World for photo enthusiasts.

I picked up the Olympus 17mm f/1.8 myself a few weeks ago. In some ways I like it more than the Panny 20 f/1.7, such as auto-focus speed. For sure, it will probably work better at high ISOs on Oly bodies.

Right now, micro four thirds is still the mirrorless system to beat becuase it's the most mature and has the most lenses. Auto focus may be the best, too. But Oly and Panny really need to bring out rangerfinder-style bodies with built-in EVFs.

Back