Sony First stroll with the A7S

Gubrz

O.* Gonzo's & Bentley's Dad
Name
Eliot
Nice Eliot, and lots of different pp ;) The FE55 is addictive! Now we want to see some shots in the dark!
you know im incapable of one style of PP! lol! :D
mainly i wanted better high iso for faster shutter speeds at f8ish in dim light. not so i could do slwo stills in pitch black, hehehe, but ill do some up!
You won't be disappointed.

Feel free to come and join us at the sister site, www.talkEmount.com which is focused directly on the Sony EMount systems.

i started over at mu43, but once i started here, i think i prefer srsc. i have so many cameras that id be bouncing around constantly to diff forums.. i like to just post in one place and see the people i know and love! :D
thanks tho! ill prolly toss some over there when i do low light stuff just so people interested can see some more samples!

The 55 is probably my favourite lens. I shoot pretty much everything at f1.8, even landscapes. Wide open there is a beauty to the rendering I have not experienced since I sold my 50 lux.

LouisB
It reminds me of the "crispy creamy" of the rx1

Ok cool and all but you failed in your mission. Medium Format film is still calling your name.

*dons dunce cap and sits in corner!*
I haven't given up! I still need it for a specific project I have planned!:D

#1 & 3 are my faves. I forget....what does the "S" stand for?

S is for Sensiitivity (as in the HIGH ISO).

Sony has made it so incredibly easy to focus with Adapted lenses, that I dont worry about using them with manual focus anymore.
Much easier than MU43 cameras without focus peaking. Focus peak even works in expanded view, making it easy to confirm focus.

And with mirrorless, you see what you get and so using manual exposure is also very easy.

The 55mm Sony Zeiss lens is amazing !

I think you should lend me this rig, so I can see if it's 'HepKitty approved'!

lol yer lil wink went off just as i finished the sentence! :D
youve got an A7! and if you just downsample the image to 12mp, its basically the same... you just start out with the potential for a larger file
i just went the "im too lazy to downsample everything" route, lol
i like me some 12mp files! and so does my macbook! lol

you DO need the 55/1.8, tho! i cant believe you dont have it! actually, we BOTH need a 35/1.4... get on it sony!

These photos are an interesting example for me of the dilemma of moving to FF. I've been contemplating making some sort of move to FF (if my budget can be worked). I now use M4/3 and an APS-c compact, but I see the beauty of the A7s, for example, with the ability to use high ISOs to keep the shutter speed high in low light. Or the ability to crop with a camera with high megapixels. Or perhaps the accurate colors of something like the D810. But one thing I don't like, and consider almost a negative of the FF look, is the sort of subject isolation shown in #2, where the two people in the crosswalk seem to be almost floating on a blurry background, as if someone snipped them out with scissors and glued them on the scene. Even the worker with his hand truck in #1 seems a little like that to me. I know this whole business is a bunch of artifice, but I want less attention drawn to the photographer and his stuff. I look at those shots and I think: Dude likes FF and a sharp lens wide open. I don't think about the subject. But I suppose that's just personal bias, and one could still have the benefits of FF and just stop the lens down a bit to get a different look.

These photos are an interesting example for me of the dilemma of moving to FF. I've been contemplating making some sort of move to FF (if my budget can be worked). I now use M4/3 and an APS-c compact, but I see the beauty of the A7s, for example, with the ability to use high ISOs to keep the shutter speed high in low light. Or the ability to crop with a camera with high megapixels. Or perhaps the accurate colors of something like the D810. But one thing I don't like, and consider almost a negative of the FF look, is the sort of subject isolation shown in #2, where the two people in the crosswalk seem to be almost floating on a blurry background, as if someone snipped them out with scissors and glued them on the scene. Even the worker with his hand truck in #1 seems a little like that to me. I know this whole business is a bunch of artifice, but I want less attention drawn to the photographer and his stuff. I look at those shots and I think: Dude likes FF and a sharp lens wide open. I don't think about the subject. But I suppose that's just personal bias, and one could still have the benefits of FF and just stop the lens down a bit to get a different look.

<--- this dude likes ff and wide open, baby, yeah! lol

if i wanted to play with more focus, id use my m43, or my fuji, or my iphone :D
hehehe

it was my first walk, so i was excited to see how creamy the 55 would handle things, and if i could shoot wide open in texas daylight with it without blowing stuff out badly
i also still think it looks neato! :D do i want every shot like that? no! i like the gradual creaminess like in the bike shot, but i wasnt going to fiddle with aperture settings and miss a chance at the guy relatively by himself. he would have gotten to the crazy packed corner i was at if i had messed with settings from what i was already doing

and i totally agree, its exactly what it looks like. a diorama and these 2 are glued on sticks stuck way forward of a watercolor background. but you could always just adjsut yer aperture to avoid it.
just shoot everything at f8! the a7s can handle the iso!

Back