Just curious? EXIF data...

Just curious why some folks make their EXIF photo data unavailable to others on Flickr? Etc. Are they not open to sharing or are they hiding something? I compare it to going fishing, and not wanting to tell the guy next to you what kind of bait you are using. When I see that I wonder :)

Do you really believe that by examining someone's exif data you'll discover what made their photograph a good one?

When I uploaded an iPhone image to Flickr a while back, I noticed that viewers could see the exact location where the photo was taken (my house on that occasion).

Disabling EXIF data for uploaded images stopped that happening, so I wonder if other people have done the same thing?

-R

I was happy to share camera settings, but I thought that revealing the exact location of images taken in my home (or the homes of friends and family) was a potential security risk.

If I could just turn off the location information, I would leave the other EXIF data intact. Alternatively, I would be happy to turn EXIF data on for my RX100, but leave it off for my iPhone, but I don't think Flickr allows you to do that easily.

-R

Sometimes it gets stripped somewhere along the way, sometimes I just don't feel like answering questions about a piece of gear. Usually I leave it on, but I turn it off at times too.

-Ray

I think anyone with a working understanding of the exposure triangle doesn't need the exif info to understand how the photo was made. effective focal length might be useful, but once you know that, you can pretty much figure out the rest by looking at the image. Well, shutter speed might be useful too in some cases with fast movement or deliberate blur. Other than that, I view exif info as a tool for judging a camera's capabilities, not for learning to take photos.

Back