Sony Fotodiox lens hood for RX1/1r

BruPri

Top Veteran
Name
Bruce J. Pritchard
Have a question for anyone that has tried the new "slotted" version. Is it as effective in blocking light from all angels or has there been any experiences with light bouncing in off the side/top etc.
I had an original "solid" version and it worked great, since recently acquiring an RX1r, I went to purchase another rectangular hood and the only one Fotodiox makes available is the slotted one.
I understand this change in design was to allow the lowlight focusing IR illuminator to look through the hood from the back.

I'm not convinced of the design and don't use the focus assist anyway so my preference would be to buy an old version from someone (hint hint). I've called Fotodiox, placed WTB ads in various forums, none to be found.
What are your experiences with the new version?

hood_orig.jpg

hood_slotted.jpg

Bruce, I don't have any specific knowledge of this, but slotted lens hoods have been so widely used for so long by so many lens makers that I seriously doubt they're letting light in through the slots. I mean, it would have to either bend or reflect to actually hit the lens, and it's not gonna reflect off of the full black interior of the solid part of the hood. So it would have to bend and my limited memory of high school physics is that light doesn't make a habit of bending. I'd be willing to bet it's a non-issue. But can I prove this beyond a scientific doubt? Nope...

-Ray

Back