Canon Anyone have/seen any higher ISO samples from the G7X?

swandy

Regular
Aside from my wife's 5 year old Canon Powershot SD960, I have not regularly used a Canon camera in many years (moved to Olympus and never really looked back), but I really like what I am seeing as far as specs and people's overall impressions of the G7X.

My current "small" camera is the Olympus Stylus 1 and while I do love it's handling and the range of the zoom lens, I really would prefer something (1) a bit more pocketable for going out to dinner/parties/etc. and with a bit better low light/higher ISO results. The Stylus 1 is very good for a smaller sensor P&S camera but I was hoping (and I did use the screen that DPR has set up to compare different cameras) for somewhat better results. I really dislike using flash and especially considering that the G7X does not have a hotshot to add a small flash unit, my concern of how the camera handles low light situations. Especially if you need to bump up the ISO to handle some subject movement.

(And yes, I do have a "better" camera to handle low light/higher ISOs - an Olympus EM10 with a some fast primes.)

Thanks for any examples or advice, Steve

Hi Steve,

I generally have mine set up with auto-ISO with a max ISO of 3200. It can sort of handle 6400, but I just don't find it needing to go that high very often, given how fast the lens is and how much DOF there is even at really large apertures. It rarely gets up to 3200, but it has on occasion. Here are a few shots at 3200. I'm using zone focus on most of these so some of them don't nail focus where I wanted it to, but that's my fault, not the camera's. I think the quality is quite good at 3200 - not surprising as it uses the same sensor as the RX100 and RX10 and I always found those really good at 3200 with 6400 usable but really pushing it. Also keep in mind that I tend to process pretty aggressively, which tends to accentuate any noise in the file, rather than hide it. And these are a mix of raw and jpegs, with the raw processed less than optimally (since there's no real raw support yet). The jpegs were shot with NR turned down as low as it can go...

15283163858_a04888a442_b.jpg
Philly G7X-341-Edit by ramboorider1, on Flickr

15430219742_2555a22b20_b.jpg
West Chester Walk-17-Edit by ramboorider1, on Flickr

15432391917_d3ea9a8e67_b.jpg
NYC - G7X-90-Edit by ramboorider1, on Flickr

15007988094_e707830f95_b.jpg
NYC Saturday-172-Edit by ramboorider1, on Flickr

15497819776_854d176d10_b.jpg
Chili-82-Edit by ramboorider1, on Flickr

-Ray

Thanks Ray for the samples. And for what is still a P&S camera those photos - at ISO 3200 - look great. I keep the Stylus 1 also on Auto ISO maxed to 3200 and I can see that I will be even happier with the G7X at that level.

Back