Hi from southern Oregon

WoodWorks

Regular
Hi,

Some of you may remember me from the µ/43 forum, or know me now at the TalkEmount forum, but I just managed to score an RX100 III on eBay for a song (the seller had let her dog chew on one of the corners :doh:), so I thought I'd take a moment to introduce myself to those of you who haven't yet met me.

For the past year the Sony A7 has been my only camera, but I've been interested in getting another pocketable compact ever since I sold my old Panasonic LX3 a few years back. And the RX100 III seems to give me enough of what I look for in a camera (even with a few tooth marks) to justify the expense. I've been looking at the RX100 images here and on Flickr, and have seen nothing to dissuade me. And some of the images here have blown me away. I greatly look forward to seeing more of them, plus those shot with cameras other than the Alpha/NEX line.

Since I think any introduction here should be accompanied by a sample of the new guy's work, here are a few of my favorites from this past year:

15250976066_8c4232b723_b.jpg

Bandon-1.jpg
by Holzwerk, on Flickr

15230562492_e49314de20_b.jpg

South of Dorris.jpg
by Holzwerk, on Flickr

14565234553_5c1757f549_b.jpg

Sunset Lavender
by Holzwerk, on Flickr

14104317916_283791bab3_b.jpg

Bristlecone 2
by Holzwerk, on Flickr

As you can see, most of what I shoot is wide angle, landscape kind of stuff, so the 24mm wide end of the RX100's lens is likely to get a lot of use. And frankly, I think I could have shot a lot of what I came home with last year with the RX100 and would not have been able to see the difference between it and the A7's output.

I live in a small town in southern Oregon, and work at home as a patent illustrator. So I can take off for photo trips from time to time without having to clear anything with a boss. And when I do take off, I'm usually riding my BMW F800GS, which has taken me to many great photo opportunities all over the western part of the North American continent (and back!).

13366478985_55e176a6f9_b.jpg

Der Ferkel.jpg
by Holzwerk, on Flickr

Anyway, I look forward to getting to know those of you here that I've never met, learning the ins and outs of the RX100 from the experts, and hopefully posting a few shots that are worth looking at.

David

Welcome to PL... Great images that I have seen some of them before and I am sure you will get more with the small RX100. I will be waiting your take on ver III. I still have the original one but it is not working since last summer...

Thanks for the welcome, Tony. Here's hoping I can earn a few Woofs from you here with the dog chew cam. :tongue:
LOL! I haven't been registered here very long myself. I figured since I have a micro 4/3 now as well as a NEX, I'd diversify. :D Always enjoy seeing your road trip pics. Keep 'em coming!

Tony

PS: Patent Illustrator sounds like an interesting line of work. No boss, eh? Sweet.

VERY interesting. Nice to meet you! My wife and I are pretty smitten with Oregon after visiting a few times. Would love to move there, somehow. I do a little motorcycling still these days out here in/around new england... less since I moved jobs to a location a few miles from home - just makes sense to bicycle it instead of sitting in Boston traffic paying for gas. Once every summer, 3 of us get up to some secret spots in VT for a motocamping weekend. One of us has a 2001 GS, but it isn't me. :)

14357352189_7f5f0f0ecc_b.jpg
KBRX5552 by gordopuggy, on Flickr

VERY interesting. Nice to meet you! My wife and I are pretty smitten with Oregon after visiting a few times. Would love to move there, somehow. I do a little motorcycling still these days out here in/around new england... less since I moved jobs to a location a few miles from home - just makes sense to bicycle it instead of sitting in Boston traffic paying for gas. Once every summer, 3 of us get up to some secret spots in VT for a motocamping weekend. One of us has a 2001 GS, but it isn't me. :)
Nice to meet you (and be here) too! My sister lives in Vermont, and I know firsthand what a great place your neck of the woods is to ride in. I had the '98 version of that GS. But I broke it. :rolleyes:

I'm a big fan of your images too, Miguel. And I'd love to get together over a beer (never took to coffee, I'm afraid) and talk photography. SOOPS?! Sounds intriguing! I think you need to clue me in about that.

Back