Single in January 2015 - register your interest

stillshunter

Super Moderator Emeritus
Name
Mark
As initiated by Thomas (trisberg) looking to see if we have enough interest in another "Single in…" challenge.

If you're up for it then please register your interest here before 31 December 2014.

For those not sure if they are interested - or what the plum a "Single In" challenge involves - here is the gist of it from 2012.

I noted some talk about reviving the "Single in..." challenge; that I introduced here in July 2010 and originally started in another forum in September 2009. Great idea but then I'm a little biased. Having said that, the idea might just have some merit - as folks in that other forum continue with the challenge to this day - so be great to see where we can take it in our little community.

I best spend a little time explaining the concept first and we'll see how it fits with the Serious Compacts philosophy.

"Single in..." short version:
A photo a day taken by a single camera/lens and posted for each day of the month.

"Single in..." L O N G version:
Originally started as a cure for GAS (gear acquisition syndrome) - or LBA (lens buying addiction) as was the case in another forum - the challenge involves really getting to know your nominated camera and lens. So rather than flit between gear in the false hope that the next thing will cure all your ills, you stick with the one combo and really get to know it. Use your creativity to shoot with it in different ways - make it a true walk-around companion...not just your go-to lens to shoot cottages, cats or cabbages...but discover what else it can do. Trust me, as the month progresses, you'll find innovative ways to shoot with it...and begin seeing the world framed by its Field of View.

The challenge has four other offshoots:
1. folks did get to know their gear much better,
2. folks witnessed what lens could do in another hands, so had the benefit of an extended 'review"....OK this didn't help GAS much once the month ended
3. as folks really needed to support each other through this challenge - and have no mistake it is hard! (well if it wasn't it wouldn't be called a "challenge") the group of participants became very tight and our community grew stronger
4. we all got a photo book out of it. Well we had to pay Blurb for our copies but it was quite a memento. This is not obligatory with this challenge...but I like having a list of four...three looked flimsy and light

More rules? Well the challenge evolved over time, but no new rules emerged, just clarifications. I know I could go and steal the FAQ for the challenge I started over yonder (surely I maintain some IP ), but I'd not like to put too many boundaries around it, and prefer to see how the simple rules translate into our culture. Irrespective here are some basic and inevitable FAQs to start from:
- yes, you can shoot with anything else you like over the month, but you must take and post a photo each day from the nominated combo
- no, you do not have to post everyday. As it's holiday time, and hard to be at your computer daily, you can upload your images whenever you can. But please make clear the date of the photo.....oh yeah and no messing with the EXIF if you lapsed for the day. Be honest and talk us through the 'why' you failed us

So are folks still keen?

It means a month-long commitment:
1. committing yourself to a PAD (photo-a-day),
2. committing yourself to a camera/lens combination, and
3. committing yourselves to each other.

If you're in, then myself and the Mod team will make it happen.

So where to from here?
Log your interest on this thread. But don't just throw you hand in the air....you'll need to also share what camera/lens combo you are using for January.
The Mods have taken pre-emptive action and had our Supreme Leader "Amin" create the "Single in January" gallery. I'd encourage folks to get acquainted with the SC Gallery FAQ in anticipation.

How to post your images
Whenever you get the opportunity - as it is not a requirement to upload daily, just make a photo a day...
Navigate to the Single in January Gallery.
Click "Upload Photos" on the top right.
On the next page, ensure your Category remains as "Single in January", if not select it from the drop-down menu.
Click "Choose File" and browse to your image file
IMPORTANT - Please use the common nomenclature when entering your photo title "SIJ - Day XX"
EVEN MORE IMPORTANT - Please enter text about this image, and/or its making, in the "Description" field.

Most the rest is up to you and explained in the FAQ, such as whether you want to be notified via email of any comments on your photo. But I would strongly encourage you to say Yes to "Allow members to post comments?" field in the Extra Options.

As I noted earlier this challenge doesn't work so well with the W/NW option. It best runs with commentary so a dialogue is encouraged; so please use the Comments field on daily photos to encourage and/or offer constructive criticism for each person on their images, or even just share your experiences with the challenge so far...you'll find others hitting similar blocks and moments of inspiration through the process, and so it's great to know where you are all at during each phase.

Finally if you have any questions about how the Challenge runs then please post them here. I'll answer them and use the info to compile a Sticky FAQ for the challenge.

OK now I've got to say I'm pretty excited about the challenge - the prospect of our developing our eye and our community. But, again, the one thing we'll need if this is to succeed is commitment - to your photography, the discipline, and each other. If we don't help each other along; with feedback, encouragement, and talking open and honestly on your struggles; then we'll just be a bunch of photogs posting a bunch of photos, to a world already burgeoning under the weight or snapshots.

...now I hope there are still some replies

I'm in.

*pushes massive stacks of imaginary poker chips into the center of the table*

p.s. - if any folks here joined after January of 2012 and are wondering what all this means, check out the original post from the end of 2011..... Single in January - First resolution for 2012?
All-in mate?…or do I spy a single $20 chip there under your elbow? :laugh1:

Jeez it's good to be back. Any idea what you're in with mate?
For me, I'm thinking of rebonding with my Fuji X100s.

Jeez, it's good to see you out of the dark room Mark! I thought you had got yourself tangled up in film somewhere down under!

I may have to get a duster out to see what's sitting on the shelf but definitely count me in.
Oh hello Karen, it has been too long. Great to see you and have you on-board for January. As usual I think it will matter little what you have in your hand…that eye of yours!

Heh.

Beat me to it.

Born ready (cracks neck)
still-of-antonio-banderas-and-carlos-gallardo-in-desperado.jpg

...and my chosen tool is my X100s.

Is a compact zoom against the spirit of the challenge?

Taking an Oly Stylus 1 to Jamaica soon, so that's what I'd have to be using. Just an extremely versatile camera with decent image quality. What more should I really want though?

No full-frames, no m43s with Nocticrons though ... Ay-Caramba, that's rough!

Is a compact zoom against the spirit of the challenge?
Not if you stick with that one camera for at least one shot each day. Much the same as welding a zoom up front for 31 days mate.

This will be a great way for you to get to know this bit of kit pre-Jamaica. And if it doesn't work out for you, then I'm prepared to make the sacrifice and take the Stylus-1 to Jamaica for you instead mate.

Great to see the fantastic response, I'm ready! Looks like you all are too. Looking forward to it. I've yet to choose my lens/camera combo. Might go for the Sony A7 that I just got today with a manual focus 50mm lens. Although, I did enjoy using my X100 last time around, so I have some thinking to do.

Cheers,
Thomas

Mark, you have a gift for rallying the troops. Good to see so many onboard so quickly. Hopefully the others will be inspired and join the ranks soon. I flipped through the book this afternoon. So many great photos..... I still feel honored to view mine amongst them.

For anyone who wasn't around here back then, you can see everyone's month of shooting in the gallery here...... https://www.photographerslounge.org/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=644 I encourage people to wade through them as time permits. When this group isn't obsessing over gear, they are quite talented at creating photos.

For anyone who wasn't around here back then, you can see everyone's month of shooting in the gallery here...... https://www.photographerslounge.org/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=644 I encourage people to wade through them as time permits. When this group isn't obsessing over gear, they are quite talented at creating photos.
Right on! The book turned out a treat.

Nice to see so many 35mm (e.g., X100 models, RX1) - will certainly show just how versatile this focal length can be.

I'll be in. I need a rocket to get out there, I've been quite morose of late and doing SFA. I was sure I was in that single in january. Well, I know I was, I'm in the book. but none of my shots seem to be in the gallery anymore. Does anyone else see them? Pretty sure I used the XZ-1, so this time I'll go for single focal length... probably X100 since I have been neglecting it. OR V1 with 18.5mm lens.

Back