My Mother: 1916 - 2015

Lawrence A.

Hall of Famer
Name
Larry
This is perhaps not the place for it, but my mother passed away yesterday evening, and up at 3 AM unable to sleep, I wanted to share a few pictures and thoughts of her. When a bit over a month ago she told my sister she was ready to give up, I knew we would not have her for long. From a generation inured to adversity, she had never before, to my knowledge, spoken of giving up. Toughened by growing up on a New England farm on the South Shore of Boston with no central heat, or indoor plumbing, except the well pump at the kitchen sink, her attitude toward both joy, pain, and the plain little annoyances of daily routine was that you get through it and go on, maximizing the enjoyment. But she was not callous towards others' pain, but rather as tender as anyone I know. She applied her principles of tough endurance to herself only. Her kindness, tolerance, and acceptance of people were extraordinary examples of the best of humanity. As some of the following pictures will reveal, she had a huge capacity to enjoy herself. I love her deeply, and I will miss her in the core of my being.

i-DfVmNzf-L.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

i-TSwgh75-L.jpg

i-r63ZmMV-L.jpg

i-6SpbSrV-L.jpg

i-KQSTXTC-L.jpg

i-B4B4dp8-L.jpg

i-L7zVBc2-L.jpg

i-DLPrDq2-L.jpg

i-nLfLb4B-L.jpg

i-PTLJcK6-L.jpg

i-sBp9Lg4-L.jpg

i-Q3995dj-L.jpg

This last was taken last March when I was home for her 98th birthday. I planned on being in Boston in two weeks for her 99th.

Very very sorry to hear. It's clear from your photos that she loved life - her eyes have a real sparkle to them. And based on her date of birth, she lived well for a very very long time. So, be sad, but be grateful - she surely seems like a mother to be grateful for...

Hang in there,

-Ray

Your photos are very moving and a lovely insight, thank you for sharing. I doubt if we'll see such a stoic generation as her's again. Having lost my 90 year old father in law a couple of years ago I can tell you that I think of him every day and in that same way, your mum will be with you always.

Larry, thank you for sharing with us, here. If you cannot share such things with your friends, then where?

My most sincere condolences for your loss. You must celebrate her life and her vitality, not her passing, and your photos made with love show that you are doing just that.

Larry-

Please accept my sincerest condolences to you and your family. The photos were a great tribute to a beautiful woman. Thank you for sharing the photos, your thoughts and feelings. God bless.

-A

Back