Sigma SD1 = $1999 USD

wouldn't 3 x DPM's be better covering the range 19mm to 50mm (x 1.5 because of the crop)

That's really a question of does one prefer to carry three cameras over one camera that can use different lenses. The SD1 is also an APS-C sized sensor. While some would prefer the flexibility of a fast zoom on the SD1 to carrying three different cameras, I would guess that the "serious compact" crowd here might rather have 3 different cameras.

Bought a used one for a good price and a while ago. Before that I own the DPs (Merrills and DP2s) and used a SD15. In comparison you need a very good lens for the SD1 to get the sharpness and resolution of the Merrills. And the ability to use old M42 lenses like on the SD15 is restricted because the bigger sensor shows colorcasts on uncorrected lenses.
For IR photography both (SD1, SD15) are decent because the IR filter could be removed by hand.

Yea I just looked at the dpreview one and there really isn't any difference. Def not enough to make up the over $2k difference between the DP3M and the SD1+50mm.

These were the first links I found for the comparison and for me these show that there is not a really significant difference between a DP3 and a 50mm/1.4 Art (except for f/1.4).

That's really a question of does one prefer to carry three cameras over one camera that can use different lenses. The SD1 is also an APS-C sized sensor. While some would prefer the flexibility of a fast zoom on the SD1 to carrying three different cameras, I would guess that the "serious compact" crowd here might rather have 3 different cameras.

I'd buy a DP3M and a DP1M ....£640 in the UK ........ not sure of the US prices

small, compact, fixed lens

Cheers - DP3M

wine_glass.jpg

The SD1 Merrill is $755 new from Amazon.

I always wanted a merrill. Either the SD1 or one of the DPs. I've been struggling about buying one for weeks at these blowout prices. In the end, I think I'll wait for Sony. Sony has full RGB sensors in the works so it's only a matter of time. The Sony sensors don't suffer from the low sensitivity of the Foveon. Combined that with the fact that Sony cameras are much better overall. The Sigma cameras only really have one thing going for them, the Foveon sensor. The rest of the cameras tend to be throwbacks to 10 years ago.

And the ability to use old M42 lenses like on the SD15 is restricted because the bigger sensor shows colorcasts on uncorrected lenses.

Thanks for that. The only reason to even think about getting a SD1 for me was to use my hoard of lenses. But if it doesn't work well with that, then there's no point.

Let's not forget Sigma's vaunted ART lenses too! And, Sigma's APS-C sensor is larger than most other APS-Cs...

Back