A delightful surprise

Jock Elliott

Hall of Famer
In March, my son and I were traveling when I noticed that I was having trouble reading the arrival/departure signs in the airport. I had to get really close to them and even then they were not razor sharp. A year ago, my ophthalmologist had warned that I had an “incipient” cataract in my left eye.

Soon after we got home, I scheduled an a appointment, and she was impressed with how much the cataract had grown. It had the effect of looking like a big greasy thumbprint on my glasses and also it messed up the diffraction so that the eyeglass prescription for that eye was no longer correct . . . a double-whammy.

Even worse, my left eye is my dominant eye. The vast majority of humans have one eye that is the “master” eye, and the brain uses information from the non-dominant eye to integrate with the dominant eye to give us binocular vision.

Three years ago, the good doctor had fixed my right (non-dominant) eye’s cataract with commendable results: 20/40 vision corrected.

Ten days ago, she did cataract surgery on my left eye. This involves making a small incision in the side of the eye near the lens, reaching in and removing the lens with the cataract, and sliding in a plastic lens that unfolds in the proper place inside the eye. This is done while the patient (me!) is awake, and it could be a very panicky experience except for some very interesting chemicals they were dripping into my arm that left me totally unconcerned with the activities of the medical team. There was some discomfort for 24 hours afterward but it was no big deal.

After care involves a protective shield over the eye for one week, and a series of eye drops for three weeks. Years ago, cataract surgery patients had to lie still for two weeks with their heads between sand bags, and there were problems with blood clots, etc., as a result.

Now the delightful surprise, my one-week check-up revealed that my naked left eye is now delivering 20/20 vision. I no longer have to wear glasses for anything except reading and close work. That means I can peer through the viewfinders of my cameras without glasses. What a treat! I wonder if my photography will improve now that I can see what I am doing . . .

Hey, you can SEE life again. The photography will take care of itself. In my mid-50's I was recently told I have just the beginnings of a cataract in an eye - I was told it's nothing to worry about, it's typical for my age, and it probably won't be anything that will require action for many years, if ever. But it's nice to know things have gotten to the point that it's a RELATIVELY routine procedure. Congratulations - enjoy your clear view of the world!

-Ray

Hey, you can SEE life again. The photography will take care of itself. In my mid-50's I was recently told I have just the beginnings of a cataract in an eye - I was told it's nothing to worry about, it's typical for my age, and it probably won't be anything that will require action for many years, if ever. But it's nice to know things have gotten to the point that it's a RELATIVELY routine procedure. Congratulations - enjoy your clear view of the world!

-Ray

Ray,

In my experience, it's very routine . . . outpatient procedure, very little discomfort. They do some measurements well before the procedure to make sure they install the right lens for your needs.

Weird funny: they give you a card with the serial number of the lens. (I now have one for each eye.) When I had the first eye done in 2012, that week on the TV show Bones, the identified a corpse by the serial number on the lens. I tell people I am bionic and can prove it . . .

Cheers, Jock

I'm in my late 60s and for a number of years my optician has noted a very slight cataract in one of my eyes but said it wasn't a problem. Like many things in old age they creep up on you and it is only when you have things corrected that you realise how much better things can be. One upside to my growing old is that my eyesight had improved and I no longer require glasses for distance use and only need them for close work, this means that I can use my cameras with a naked eye and still see my surroundings. I'm also glad that some of my floaters have gone as these can be very annoying.

I'm glad your surgery was successful, now let's see some more pictures.

Back