Fuji Fuji X70

serhan

Hall of Famer
Fujifilm announces the 28mm 16MP apsc X70:

fuji_x70_silver_f001.jpg

fuji_x70_silver_b001.jpg

Specs:
- 16MP APS-C X-Trans CMOS II sensor
- lens newly developed 18.5mm F2.8 (in terms of 28 mm)
- digital tele-converter (35mm and 50 mm)
- automatic mode switch
- digital split image.
- image processing engine EXR Processor II
- AF 0.1 seconds. The image plane phase difference AF - shutter lag is 0.01 seconds.Shooting interval of 0.5 seconds. Start-up time of 0.5 seconds
- Customizable control ring
- LCD monitor three inches 1.04 million dots. Open 180 degrees tilting
- for the first time adopted a touch panel in the X series. Focus area selection, touch shot function
- Focus peaking
- Wi-Fi built-in. Remote control shooting
- shooting 8 frames / sec by the AF tracking
- silent electronic shutter. Top speed is 1/32000 seconds
- (including classic chrome) film simulation mode
- multiple exposure function
- eight of the advanced filter
- interval timer
- video full HD 60 fps
- body color is black and silver.
富士フイルムX70の詳細スペックと画像 - デジカメinfo

Oh dear... Fujifan that I am, this doesn't float my boat. In fact it rather depth charges it. I have said for some time that I would like to see a GR-killer from Fuji and this is not it.

No viewfinder
Tilty screen
Touch screen
Identical lens spec. to GR
Bigger/less pocketable than GR
Same old sensor

...and that last, I think, is a key point. This feels like a vehicle to use up the last of Fuji's stocks of the old 16mp sensor. The X-Pro2 takes us to 24mp and makes this look pedestrian for a "new release"

No, Mr. Fuji, not this one... The GR has nothing to worry about.

... apart possibly from the EVF and handling ...

Not that the GR handles badly at all, mind - just rather more modern; it's a matter of taste.

M.
What EVF? The only thing this gives over the Coolpix A or GR is the floppy screen, which isn't nothing, but it's not that much. And if it's consistent with the X100, it won't even have a minimum shutter speed faster than 1/125 in its auto ISO setup. Which I find completely useless... Even the GR goes to 1/240, which has been my primary complaint about IT...

-Ray

I get it's all about being compact, etc. but I just don't like lenses at only 2.8 (even if they are sharp wide open). Much prefer to get to 2.0.

What EVF? The only thing this gives over the Coolpix A or GR is the floppy screen, which isn't nothing, but it's not that much. And if it's consistent with the X100, it won't even have a minimum shutter speed faster than 1/125 in its auto ISO setup. Which I find completely useless... Even the GR goes to 1/240, which has been my primary complaint about IT...

-Ray

ray, the x100 has a shutter speed dial--set it where you want, put camera in auto iso, and viola! the dial overrides the menu setting.

having said that, i dont see anything interesting about this cam. for the $100 i spent on it, imo nothing beats the x10 for this kind of shooting.

I don't get it. The Nikon Coolpix A had this in a smaller body 3 years ago. There must be a secret thing that makes this better. I mention this because I've never had a Fuji, so I'm curious. (And it's new and shiny....)

so it's a smaller, homelier X100 with a smaller maximum aperture and no viewfinder. I fail to see the point.

It's not compact enough for those who value compactness. And for those (like myself) who care not a whit about compactness, it should have a faster lens and a viewfinder.

Well, unlike the GR and the Nikon Coolpix A, it has dedicated, marked aperture and shutter speed dials. That, and the tilting screen, are the main differences I can see.

The tilting screen is nice, and might be enough to convince some people, but doesn't explain the larger size.
The extra dials are fun, but don't really explain the extra size either.
The lenses of the Nikon / Ricoh competition are known as very good, so I don't expect lens quality to be a major factor.

In short: yup, I'm wondering what explains the larger size. One thing I do like is that the lens doesn't have to extend to shoot - shame they didn't take the opportunity to weather seal it.

I can't see that the camera height could be much less with that screen, and the width follows from that if the X100 general appearance is to be maintained.

Also, the X100 and other X-series cameras have always felt good in the hand because of their size and weight - I imagine Fuji want to trade on that family likeness with the X70.

-R

I need better comparisons to really judge the size. The Coolpix A is taller than the GR and it's very pocket-able. Price will be interesting, i.e., too high.

A lot of the newly announced cameras are leaving me generally underwhelmed. The X70 may be the leader.

yup, i agree. there really is a huge 'its been done and probably better' feeling setting in now. the apparent reignition of the imo mindless megapixel race is singularly unappealing to me. the last camera that really interested me was the a7s because it broke ground in high iso mirrorless. but to me, unless its going to solve real issues like that, i'm not at all interested.

Back