Sony Just out of curiosity . . . .

tonyturley

Legend
Name
Tony
Been a while since I posted. I've been fiddling with film a lot, and having a lot of fun. I dropped my A7 in a river last year, and aside from a fried battery, it survived and returned to function after a month of being sealed in a large tub of rice. It is my legacy glass platform. I just sent it in to have the low pass filter replaced, as it still had smudges on the inside of the glass plate that had to be edited out any time I took a photo with a bright background. I also have an Olympus OM-D E-M5 which I use a lot, especially for telephoto work.

Just for curiosity, I was checking out the new Pentax K-1 FF camera. Although it is 36MP, with IBIS, and a rugged body with Pentax's excellent weather sealing, it is *huge*. Check this out. Be sure to change the images to top view:

Compare camera dimensions side by side

. . . and I thought the A7 was big when I moved up from the NEX-6. Wow.

TT

Yeah, I did the same size comparison after I read some Pentax marketing saying that the body was compact. Hard to go back to full frame DSLRs after using mirrorless for a while!

If you shoot zooms, particularly fast F2.8 zooms, then the body size becomes a smaller part of the equation and the deep grip of the K-1 starts to look really nice.

If you shoot primes, then the Sony combos will typically be smaller, but Sony primes seem longer than Pentax primes - take a look at the FA 43, for example.

And as Luke suggested, the Pentax grip is nice. I have a K-3 and the grip is sublime.

Pentax has never feared large cameras. I thought of this as soon as I saw the K1. I always wanted the 67 so a dangerous possibility is developing here. Someone should create this grip for the K1.
image.jpeg

Some pretty good comments here, guys. That Pentax 67 is indeed a beast. Maybe Pentax should put DSLR guts in it for people looking for their own retro fix. :D I have a Mamiya 645 1000S MF camera, and that's big enough for me. I love using it, but it's not something I usually carry around with me. I've decided after much consideration to go full-in with m4/3. My A7 and adapters will go up for sale soon, and I have a gently used E-M1 on the way.

TT

I was actually eyeing up one of those Pentax beasties on eBay after this thread. Then I remembered selling off that newer Fuji bellows MF camera because I don;t know what the hell I'm doing with a proper film camera, and that I should just stick with digital and make goofy snaps of my pets. But if anyone makes a digital version of that beeee-yotch, I'm first in line.

Back