Using an external monitor with the RX10.

bilzmale

Hall of Famer
Name
Bill Shinnick
I have been looking at external video monitors to use with the Sony RX10 - I'm looking at a 'basic' model running from the HDMI port (7" and $200).

I've established that what I'm looking at will give me video output but I'm really hoping it will work for still images - ie a larger LCD screen for my failing eyesight.

Does anyone have experience with this type of gear?

I don't have the RX10 but found this on the Sony site:

"One-touch remote and one-touch sharing
One-touch remote lets you use your smartphone or tablet as a viewfinder and remote control for a digital camera, and one-touch sharing lets you transfer your photos and videos from your camera. Either way, by installing PlayMemories Mobile app to your NFC enable Android smartphone or tablet, you can avoid complex set-up sequences and establish wireless connection simply by touching your device to the camera. You are now ready to control your camera from your smartphone to take a photo from a previously out-of-reach spot, or simply be in your own group shot, as well as transfer them instantly to your smartphone for sharing on SNS. No NFC? No problem. You can also pair the devices manually."

I use WiFi on my Panasonic Lumix GX85 to control and view photos from my phone and tablet. If you have a tablet maybe you can download the PlayMemories app and see if it works for you.

Luke yes I want to use it for stills mainly to do focus stacking. The video aspect is a bonus. Reports vary on whether this will work and I have been in touch with the suppliers in China who said it should work. Bit the bullet and should have one in a week or two.

FWIW, the Panasonic GX85 provides remote control and Live View via WiFi to an Android or iOS device. And it has a Focus Stacking mode where it will automagically focus stack for you. I haven't tried it yet so I can't say how effective it is. CameraLabs may have tested the feature though.

Back