Sony No sound with MIT files

cmeechan

Hi, new to here. I have an first gen Sony RX100 and I’m not at all technical (in terms of photography, but know my way around a Mac very well). We’re using the RX100 with a 32GB Eyefi Mobi card which works well. This issue is video files with no sound: EyeFi in its daily wifi transfers transfers single .MTS files (sometimes .MOV files and I now understand RX100 can shoot both, so one answer is to use MOV only I guess?!).

Anyway I cannot get the .MTS files to play sound in any app I have (Quicktime, VLC, Handbrake and have tried ClipWrap to try to convert the MTS file, which is does, but still no sound). We don’t have iMovie or any Premiere products since we’re travelling and space on the Mac is at a premuim.

Have also plugged the RX100 in by USB and can see one complete AVCHD file. My experience of dealing with a file like this is that QuickTime or VLC will ‘break it down’ into its separate videos, but neither will play the video with sound (have checked mute is off, sound enabled etc).

I have read as much as poss on the internet and seems that .MTS and MacBook don’t get along too well. But I’m hopeful we have sound on all these .MTS files or even the giant AVCHD file. Can anyone give me some Mac/RX100 pointers? Thanks

I'm also not a video guy, but Sue's suggestion makes sense. I would bet there IS audio in that file, it's just not being played or unpacked or whatever it might be called. I'd also look into some other different video converters.

Also a quick search this morning found that for some people, just renaming the file from .mts to .m2ts fixed the issue. Hopefully it is that simple

I'm also not a video guy, but Sue's suggestion makes sense. I would bet there IS audio in that file, it's just not being played or unpacked or whatever it might be called. I'd also look into some other different video converters.

Also a quick search this morning found that for some people, just renaming the file from .mts to .m2ts fixed the issue. Hopefully it is that simple

Hi thanks for the advice. And my (pretty stupid) bad. Went through the camera setting and there is... Audio Recording On/Off and for whatever reason it was Off (default?? seems odd if it was). Hey Ho, dozens of silent movies, but at least using MOV and sound from now on the problem will be fixed. One more question – where will all these MOV files be in the Eyefi card? Do they get added to the single AVCHD file I can see? And if so, do people just delete that now and then to save SD card space, and it then rebuilds? Thanks

I don't often do movies, except for the occasional cute pet short (not that the world needs more of those). Anything that might EVER get a second look for me just gets uploaded to youtube and then deleted from the card. If I ever had something IMPORTANT (which I won't), I would save a backup to my hard drive and maybe burn a disc with a backup. But all files I delete every time I re-insert the card and reformat the card.

Back