Color Photos From Paris, 1914

so Paris used to be empty a hundred years ago?

Cool photos.

To me, it kinda hammers home that we spend far too much time worrying about lens sharpness and accurate color rendition. The photos could be more "accurate" or "true to life", but it wouldn't make any of the photos "better".

Many may not realise this, but because Eiffel Tower was built in 1889 it falls within the "Public Domain" Under an obscure EU rule you are permitted to take a photograph of the tower during the day. However, during the evening when the tower is lit up it is considered to be an art work and in the words of a notice at the tower itself:

".............. its various illuminations are subject to author's rights as well as brand rights. Usage of these images is subject to prior request from the 'Société d'Exploitation de la Tour Eiffel' (the Eiffel Tower's operating company, or SETE)"

Really cool to see these photos!

Regardig the Eiffel tower at night... sounds to me like the number of situations in which the sete's rule holds up in court would be pretty limited.

Really cool to see these photos!

Regardig the Eiffel tower at night... sounds to me like the number of situations in which the sete's rule holds up in court would be pretty limited.

I agree, and it is interesting to see which countries have adopted this voluntary ruling and which haven't. The UK certainly hasn't (at present)

Back