Canon Canon launches EOS M100 with 24MP sensor and Dual Pixel AF

Aushiker

Hall of Famer
Name
Andrew
2645137313.jpg

Source: DPReview

The full blog posting can be found at DPReview but a summary of the key points is below:

Canon has announced the successor to its EOS M10 with the EOS M100, bringing a 24.2MP sensor with Dual Pixel autofocus to the entry-level mirrorless range for the first time. A DIGIC 7 processor brings other improvements like a boost from 1080/30p to 1080/60p video capture and 4 fps burst shooting with continuous AF (6 fps with single AF) compared to the M10's 2.2 fps with C-AF.

The Canon EOS M100 maintains its predecessor's built-in Wi-Fi with NFC, tilting 3" 1.03M-dot touchscreen, and pop-up flash. Bluetooth connectivity is also available, allowing for a constant connection between camera and mobile device. Canon says it's the slimmest and lightest of its M-series offerings yet, and touts a newly designed touch interface for its beginner-friendly Creative Assist mode.

The Canon M100 will be available in black or white, and is expected to ship in October for $600 with 15-45mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM lens, or $950 with 15-45mm and 55-200mm F4.5-6.3 IS STM.

maybe they don't focus on the lenses because they view mirrorless as for "non-serious" photographers. Like if you're "serious" about photography to want a good prime lens, you'll buy one of their DSLRs. I'm not saying I agree, but a DSLR-centric camera company, that may be their line of thinking.

It's basicly the same size as the Sony A5100 and the sensor is about the same quality, maybe a bit worse. But it does have Dual Pixel AF and the 22mm pancake lens is much better than the Sony pancake options.

I thought the original M was a good camera except for the terribly slow AF. I assume they have fixed that by now. My big problem with this system is the lens selection overall compared to mu43.

Back