Snow at the Beach

Ray Sachs

Legend
Name
you should be able to figure it out...
Hi all,

It's been a long time since I've posted. Hello again and Happy New Year and all that!

I haven't been shooting really at all lately, other than family stuff. I sold my RX1 II and a couple of bicycles to help finance some guitar upgrades - another long dormant hobby coming back to life in retirement, much as photography did about 8 years ago.

But we're back at the beach in North Carolina for a couple months this winter, as we did last winter. And we woke up this morning to snow. On the Beach! With frozen palm trees, icicles, etc. Kind of weird, but not in a Neville Shute / Neil Young post-apocalyptic way... Not much snow, won't last long, NOTHING like the huge dumps much of the east coast is getting. But I've been around close to 60 years now and I've seen plenty of beaches and plenty of snow, but I've never seen snow on the beach before. So here are a few shots.

-Ray

39496855001_838b83ad1c_h.jpg
Beach Snow
by Ray, on Flickr

39465764442_f7299f8152_h.jpg
Beach Snow
by Ray, on Flickr

25625767288_2b59fc4fa4_h.jpg
Beach Snow
by Ray, on Flickr

38787552524_9e61cbe0de_h.jpg
Beach Snow
by Ray, on Flickr

Last edited:
I tend to be the kind of person with many interest and hobbies, but I tend to get really intensively into them one at a time. Photography was on the front burner for about seven years, now it’s on a back burner. Guitar was on a front burner for about 10 years, a back burner for about 30, and now it’s on the front again. Cycling was up front for about 20, now in back. That’s just how I’m wired. Photography will probably come back someday, but for now it’s a little bit once in a while rather than a lot almost all the time...

We stayed at this same place last winter and it was warm almost the whole time we were here, but so was the whole east coast. This year was predicted to be a much harsher winter and so far it surely has been. But I think we’ll still get a lot of nice days here and even at its worst, it’s still usually about 15-30 degrees warmer here than at home, so I’ll take it...

I've just read in our local news that the US East Coast is having a horrible time of it. Stay safe, you lot!

This is the report I read... don't know if its geo-restricted.
https://www.sbs.com.au/news/bomb-cyclone-pounds-northeastern-us-causes-travel-chaos

Yep, that's why I haven't dared step out except to let the dogs do their thing. My poor Pit's first winter and she gets the whammy. She has no idea what this white stuff is and where are all her lawn toys? :)

I've just read in our local news that the US East Coast is having a horrible time of it. Stay safe, you lot!

This is the report I read... don't know if its geo-restricted.
https://www.sbs.com.au/news/bomb-cyclone-pounds-northeastern-us-causes-travel-chaos
Where we are it’s just a minor nuisance, but our older daughter is up in Maine and they’ve really been getting hammered up there. She’s smart about this stuff and I’m sure she’ll be fine, but I worry about her driving in this mess...

Hi Ray, good to see you're still shooting occasionally, and still thinking of us here ;)

Beautiful shots you've got there. The soft pinks and blues in #2 are incredible, and the icicles with the sea and beach houses in the background (#4) just don't seem to match :hmmm::p

52367868119_4792528ba8_o.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Back