41MP... sitting on a 1/1.2in sensor... All this.....

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by Mal, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Mal

Mal SC Veteran

Sep 23, 2010
    Liverpool / UK
  2. Lili

Lili SC Hall of Famer

Oct 17, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Lili
    I have looked at the samples. This device is evidently a superb camera, they down resto produce excellent iq and the res allows surprisingly good digital zoom.
    If it beats my superb nokia n8 i will be tempted

3. bartjeej

bartjeej SC Hall of Famer

Nov 12, 2010
    bart
    it actually looks like a very decent camera. Not sure I'd ever go for it, but innovations like these will surely mean the death of the basic 1/2.33" sensor point and shoot with 3 - 5x zoom...

4. Wolf

Wolf SC Veteran

Mar 4, 2012
    when is the first hybrid phone / camera coming ?

imagine somebody taking a telephone call with a dslr + telezoom attached ... ;)

5. Herman

Herman The Image Stimulator S.C. Charter Member

Jul 11, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Herman
    41MP sells well. Guess it doesn't have a "real 41MP sensor"?

6. bartjeej

bartjeej SC Hall of Famer

Nov 12, 2010
    bart
    it does have a real 41mp, but when it's totally zoomed out, it combines pixels to give images up to 8 mp, with pretty low noise.

As you zoom in (digitally), fewer sensor pixels are combined to give 1 image pixel, so you have more noise. Still, even at maximum digital zoom, each sensor pixel still represents 1 image pixel so there's no intrapolation necessary.

So, in short, you never get a 41mp image (8mp max IIRC), but the sensor does have 41mp.

7. nikki

nikki SC Top Veteran

Sep 12, 2011
    Dublin ,Ireland
    I read about this in the paper today - I thought it was a misprint !:rolleyes:

8. Lili

Lili SC Hall of Famer

Oct 17, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Lili
    You can go full res since sensor is like that of the lx5, variable format, the largest resolution is 38mp in 4:3 res