500px Activity

Briar

Hall of Famer
Any idea what the activity stats are on 500px and how they are calculated? It's a mystery to me what activity it's measuring. I fear it's like looking for baked beans in a supermarket, when you ask for help you find the answer to your question is right in front of you.

Karen, it really goes on popularity. An image rating changes when someone likes it or favorites it. In time, the rating raises and also lowers after a spell.
The FAQ section explains it.
I'm not that popular on any website, only to my collectors and buyers and that's what matters anyway. By the way, most of my supporters think I'm nuts for doing web stuff.
Don

Hi Don

There are four set of stats listed for every user on 500px, the first is an activity stat, the next is the faved stat (total number of pics marked favourite by visitors), then the photos stat (the total number of pics uploaded by that person), then finally the rating stat (the total number of likes received for all pics uploaded). The activity stat does not seem to relate to the popularity of a person's portfolio, nor to the number of photos uploaded, or even the traffic that comment or even just look. I noticed that Nic has zero activity shown on his stats which makes me think the stats is more to do with the activities of the person to whom the portfolio belongs (Nic said he doesn't use 500px anymore) ... but what activities is it registering?

Hi Don

There are four set of stats listed for every user on 500px, the first is an activity stat, the next is the faved stat (total number of pics marked favourite by visitors), then the photos stat (the total number of pics uploaded by that person), then finally the rating stat (the total number of likes received for all pics uploaded). The activity stat does not seem to relate to the popularity of a person's portfolio, nor to the number of photos uploaded, or even the traffic that comment or even just look. I noticed that Nic has zero activity shown on his stats which makes me think the stats is more to do with the activities of the person to whom the portfolio belongs (Nic said he doesn't use 500px anymore) ... but what activities is it registering?

:blush: One of the mu-43 guys gave me the heads-up about 500px a while back. I started a free account and put a few photos up but I quickly realised that between here, mu-43, and flickr I already saw more fotos than is healthy for one person...

Anyhoo, out of curiousity I went and had a look, but when I click on activity I get a list of recent account activity, but I don't seem to see the four different stats. Do you need an awesome account to see them?

However, as mysterious as the 500px rating figure might be, surely it can't be any more fickle than flickr's "interestingness" rating, nor as seemingly random as to why an image gets featured on Explore. :confused:

You don't need an awesome account. You see the stats when you click on the friends list, not for yourself, just for your friends. To see your own stats you have to view a friend's "friend's list" which I find even more odd. It does seem a bit fickle, I don't like the stats bit at all, and the comment bit seems a little disjointed in that you cannot reply to comments the same way as you do in flickr other than commenting on someone's wall.

I didn't opt for the awesome account. I like the way the images are presented in 500px but I prefer flickr as an offsite back-up for my photos and for posting pictures here and at mu-43. It didn't make sense for me to pay for both services, so I kept my paid subscription with flickr and am just experimenting with the freebie 500px account.

What's your link for 500px? (Dorfinator, keep meaning to ask where you got that name from?)

Ah, I see. I was going into the friends account and clicking on their activity tab. That's pretty funny that to see your own stats you need to go through a friend's friends list.

Slightly OT, out of those who are active on 500px, how would you rate the site? Bouquets, brickbats?

Well, I went awesome from the gitgo. My friend Roger paid for it. It's a nice site that requires involvement to keep it active. I would not pay for this site.
Image presentation is second to none but who cares anyway. I get a fair amount of comments and I post on others also. I'm very bored with the community sites.

I prefer sites like ours and Nic's at m43. It provides more personal interaction.
500px is a nice site but who likes nice sites.

Back