Micro 4/3 New Panasonic X range lenses - Image examples

OK, Here are a few shots taken on the GF3 on iAuto setting. These images are straight from camera, into Lightroom 3, Re sized and Std Sharpening added on export. I think the lenses do rather well. The 14-42 is certainly sharper than the std kit lens. I will have to make a few side by side comparisons to get a final verdict.

14-42 f3.5-5.6 X

f5.6, 1/80th, ISO 800
Pana14_42X_02_1024pix.jpg

f10, 1/500th, ISO160
Pana14_42X_01_1024pix.jpg

f8, 1/250th, ISO160 Close focus
Pana14_42X_03_1024pix.jpg

45-175 lens

f9, 1/1000, ISO160
Pana45_175_X_01_1024pix.jpg

f4, 1/1250th, ISO 160
Pana45_175_X_02_1024pix.jpg

These do look good! I am thinking the 14-42 on my GF3 will make for a nice almost pocketable carry everywhere camera. Hopefully, it will get to the US fairly soon.

Thank you so much, Andy.

Regards,

Antonio

Not due in till mid Oct and i'm asuming they will work with OLY bodies.

The 14-42 is small and quite lite. The togle zoom works superbly and there is a small togle switch for manual focus which is good. IQ seems excelent from corner to corner. It would be perfect for a GF 1, 2 or 3. actually any og the G series of cameras.

The 45-75mm is a nice weight and size and it also has the zoom switch. You can also use the zoom ring old school style and the zoom is all internal so good news all round. Prices aren't too bad also.

Thanks Andy! How does the size of the 45-175 stack up against the Oly 40-150?

The little 14-42 may be a good fit for the Pens too! If mounted on a Lite or Mini, would the lens protrude beyond the lens mount like the 20mm does on the Lite and Mini? Thanks for the info!

Thanks Andy! How does the size of the 45-175 stack up against the Oly 40-150?

The little 14-42 may be a good fit for the Pens too! If mounted on a Lite or Mini, would the lens protrude beyond the lens mount like the 20mm does on the Lite and Mini? Thanks for the info!

From memory there isn't much difference and the 45-75 is light but does not feel cheap. The 14-42 does not stick out so much as the 20mm when turned off but it does protrude when turned on. THE most important thing is IQ and i think these lenses deliver!

I've found that focus is fact on my E-PM2, even in relatively obsure lighting. I've become quite fond of this lens in the short time I've had it. I don't find it disturbingly soft at 42mm, as some do. My copy is fine throughout its range and excellent through much of the wider range. I wondered about using the toggle switch to zoom too, as many others here have, and I find it works very well indeed.

I know some samples, earlier ones I believe, had serious blur issues at 42mm and shutter speeds between 1/60 and 1/200. It is not an issue on mine, so I cannot speak to it except to hope that Panasonic got a firm handle on it, because it's a neat little lens. Here's a fun grab from yesterday at the Goodwill thrift store. (iso 1250)

Goodwill_glamor_P6040005.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I have used the 14-42X zoom, in my Panasonic GF2 and in a friend's GX1 (I should get my new GX1 next Friday :)). I had read several bad things about it. Maybe it is slightly worse than the original 14-45, but I am not a pixel-peeper, and even if it is, the reduced size more than compensates for it. I do not find it worse than my 14-42. I was very happy with the pictures and the focusing speed, and I did not find the motorized zoom action as bad as I expected - as a matter of fact, it quickly became second nature, and I did not think more about it. The new 14-42 must be very very good for me not to prefer the convenience of the 14-42x.

Back