Will someone make a serious mirrorless compact camera system?

I take their 'serious' to have a different meaning to us at this site. They are talking about a "pro" system I believe, to further challenge the dslrs of this world.

I, like many, am happy with the current offerings having already come from a pro-spec dslr, but some still pine for greater speed in AF, faster glass and weather sealing to attract "pro" shooters.

I'm personally confused by what they are asking. Bodies and kit lenses will always be released first, before the entire system is complete. By the definition of needing more lenses, anyone could call a system incomplete just on that definition alone: where is the XYZ lens? So, I'm really confused by what they are asking for, even after reading the link twice.

You know this is an interesting question because Olympus was the first to step up to the gate and present an alternative to the big bulky DSLRs, however having said that, they are doing terrible marketing. something has gone wrong with that company and others are moving ahead. It used to be that a camera store in Canada would have a full stock of cameras and all the accessories. Not any more! Perhaps it is because there are so many brands, and so many qualities from the major manufacturers of quality cameras down to the point and shoot and of course the quality of sensors has risen even in the cheapest of P&S cameras. So, I guess we just have to wait and see what comes along to tickle our fancy or satisfy our craving for gear.

"Craving for gear" is an interesting statement, because my entry into the world of compact cameras was and is a direct result of my "craving for LESS gear". I simply wanted to get rid of all the stuff and try a different, simple, cheap and light approach. If I wanted a lot of stuff and full complexity, I can always get myself a nice DSLR or SLT system, the latter really aren't that bulky, anyway.

And now this threads links to a website that wants to tell us that, for example, a Sony NEX 7 or NEX 5N system with all its gear and lenses and accessories is NOT a "serious compact camera system". As if it didn't exist. Sorry, I really did read the story (because it was recommended as interesting reading), but I can't help myself and consider it one of the most ridiculous and most stupid texts in a long time.

I have a feeling that the author had an urgent need to fill a page, and instead of simply typing a random sequence of letters (which might have made more sense), he chose to write this piece of nonsense, culminating in a poll asking if Sony and similar manufacturers might eventually come up with a serious compact camera system.

my god, flysurfer, are you trying to tell me that not everything on the internet is interesting, important and significant ??

my god, flysurfer, are you trying to tell me that not everything on the internet is interesting, important and significant ??

Nah, I'm telling you that pretty much everything on the Internet is more interesting, more important and more significant than the linked article. :)

I'm VERY pleased with my NEX 3 but it's not exactly the camera of my dreams. I dumped a pentax dslr system in it's favour, largely because I greatly dislike dslr's and the penatx was an awful camera to use creatively.

I have waited for six or seven years for a digital system to emerge that I can believe in and which has the features that I miss from my medium and large format film outfits. The NEX cameras are a step in the right direction but they are not 'it'.

I want a square sensor that has a 25mm side,.....RAW file from the full square sensor area, JPEGs from an APS-C area with verticle and horiz toggled by thumb switch...no 'L' bracket nonsense. I want a detachable LCD with remote controls,...optical viewfinder options and interchangeable fronts/adaptors. Want handshake with ALL of the main SLR lens ranges via intellligent adaptors. I want the sensor module to fit a rangefinder 'body' or optical v/f attachment....computerised depth of field scale and auto hyperfocal setting.

personally, I'm waiting for a Hysterically Funny Compact, or even a Completely Ludicrous Camera ...

I'm waiting for a compact camera that takes pictures noly. no video, no in-built special filters, and all the other extraneous stuff I never use. Just some good old fashioned dials coupled with a nice large sensor (mirrorless of course). Oh, and if it's interchangeable lenses, it also comes with all necessary lens adapters. and all for less than a £100. (I'd say £10, but that would just be being sily)

Back