W/NW: Roadways

Andrewteee

All-Pro
I have an affinity for pictures of roads, whether detailed closeups or broad vistas, and I've seen some great one here on SC. Perhaps it's the journeys they signify, perhaps it's how beautifully mundane and unappreciated they are, perhaps it's how they signify boundaries and grids and geometries.

Post you pictures of roadways, highways, dirt roads, anything that takes you from one place to another and in between.

imgp0428_800px.jpg

5794688558_130d0e4283_b.jpg

Fuji X100

I was up in Sherman, Connecticut, a tiny little town which has maintained its rural character while still being in Fairfield County. It was, I believe, the Fourth of July weekend if memory serves me. A good old friend of mine has been living in this spot for about 16 years and is going to be moving, not far, very soon... She will miss her daily view.

An ancient road with royal connections

This green lane is part of the walk I often do from my cottage, about 10 minutes away, and some 200 feet lower in elevation than this point. This lane is known as the Carriage road or the Royal road.

It was built to link 2 royal estates, Chillington and West Alvington. Near the later the road had to cross a tidal creek and hence a bridge was built. The locals from the nearby village of Dodbrooke gave it a name. Not unnaturally it was given the name of Kingsbridge. The name of Kingsbridge first appears as ‘Cinges bricge’ in a 962 Anglo-Saxon charter of King Edgar.

There was no settlement at Kingsbridge worthy of mention in the Domesday Book of 1086 although Dodbrooke appears as ‘Dodesbroch’.

Today the market town of Kingsbridge has surrounded and subsumed the village of Dodbrooke.

This is truly an ancient road.

1010346.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Panasonic GF1 with 12mm, f/5.6 Ultra wide-Heliar @f/8

Barrie

6193273516_c8689275b6_z.jpg

iPhone

This is a portion of The Boston Post Road. Here's a link that some might find interesting: http://kingsbesthighway.com/about/ with an excerpt.

During its evolution from Indian trails to modern interstates, the Boston Post Road, a system of overland routes between New York City and Boston, has carried not just travelers and mail but the march of American history itself. Eric Jaffe captures the progress of people and culture along the road through four centuries, from its earliest days as the King of England’s “best highway” to the current era.

Centuries before the telephone, radio, or Internet, the Boston Post Road was the primary conduit of America’s prosperity and growth. News, rumor, political intrigue, financial transactions, and personal missives traveled with increasing rapidity, as did people from every walk of life.

From post riders bearing the alarms of Revolution, to coaches carrying Washington on his first presidential tour, to railroads transporting soldiers to the Civil War, the Boston Post Road has been essential to the political, economic, and social development of the United States.

Continuously raised, widened, re-routed, and improved for faster and heavier traffic, the road played a key role in the advent of newspapers, stagecoach travel, textiles, mass produced bicycles and guns, commuter railroads, automobiles—even Manhattan’s modern grid. Many famous Americans traveled the highway, and it drew the keen attention of such diverse personages as P.T. Barnum, Benjamin Franklin, J.P. Morgan, Franklin D. Roosevelt, and Robert Moses.

This is a rather urban suburban town between two very wealthy towns...it's on the edge of the coast and pretty much links New York to Connecticut along the Long Island Sound.

After reading Barrie's description of his lane, I felt that adding some background might make the thread a bit richer for those who like that sort of thing, as some of us do.

Back