Occupy Wall Street, Occupy Philly, Occupy ETC, ETC, ETC...

Ray Sachs

Legend
Name
you should be able to figure it out...
I've seen some photos from the various OCCUPY protests in various locations on this forum and elsewhere. But it seems like they're showing up under camera-specific threads rather than topical threads. I shot some in Philly yesterday, at and around the occupation site. Am heading up to NYC next weekend and may do a bit of the same up there. I find this sort of documentary shooting to be very different from street shooting - its less about catching spontaneous moments that say something about the human condition (although that's possible too, just not the main point), and more about just documenting a piece of contemporary history.

Anyway, I thought these events probably deserve a topic-specific thread, so here is one. Don had some great shots from Philly that were mostly portraits of participants with their signs and whatnot. These shots mostly just go after the atmosphere of the encampment and some little details of what this kind of living feels like.

EVERYONE is invited to join - this is not intended to be just a thread for my stuff. I have a few from Philly and will have a few from NYC in another couple of weeks, but I know folks are shooting these all over the US and beyond, so let's see 'em...

-Ray

OK, here are a few of my shots from Philly. Most are at the occupation site itself, a few from the streets in the immediate vicinity, showing life going on normally outside of the occupation location. Some color, some B&W, and a few selective color, which I tend not to like, but occasionally serves a purpose...

Shot mostly with EPL3, some with GRD3 (but none made the cut), and a few with the iphone - the last one here is from the phone. There are more in a set in my flickr stream...

View attachment 43592

View attachment 43593

View attachment 43594

View attachment 43595

View attachment 43596

View attachment 43597

View attachment 43598

View attachment 43599

View attachment 43600

View attachment 43601

View attachment 43602

View attachment 43603

Ray, thank you yet again.

I have to be brief but want to say that, for me, the photographs that mostly do not show the people but show their presence by not being there...the tents and the scrawled message hit heavily home with me. I will catch you on Flickr later during the weekend for sure!

Well done Ray, you have captured history to keep with you forever. Here in Phoenix things seem orderly without any confrontations. And I agree, there is the recording
of conditions and then confrontation of people. Walk softly and carry a big.... in this case camera.
Thanks for your post...PEte

Back