Fuji X100 JPEG fine vs normal

Luke

Legend
Name
Luke
First off, I take everything he says with 2 grains of salt. But I was reading Ken Rockwell X100 set-up preferences and he claims that there's no difference between the NORMAL and FINE JPEGs other than wasting 50% more card space. Is that really true? Before I go the trouble to shoot comparison shots and pixel peep, can anyone confirm this?

And if true, would the fine JPEGs still be less likely to breakdown during PP since there is theoretically more info there?

If you plan on printing...ever, do fine....if your doing screen use only, forever....do normal.
Shoot in fine. What are we talking about? How many images do you need on a card before you upload to your computer.

I thought it might also be a way of speeding up shot to shot operations, but I guess you're right. The big space savings is choosing JPEG instead of RAW. I've never filled a card and never plan to. And my computer starts getting full, I just dump to an external hard drive.

I've never printed a photo of mine and I'm not sure I'll ever be satisfied enough to print anyway, but for the small difference and the cheapness of storage it makes sense to shoot fine.

Luke, seriously. You should pick out a few photos you really like and get some prints made. Just to get back to the unreal reality.
It will turn you on, I promise. Printing becomes a reality check in many ways.
It's just nice to sit with a Single Malt and hold an image in your hand.

When I do sessions, that's how we do things. We move prints from one another and see what each other is thinking. This also will answer very clearly your question about file quality.
Sorry for rambling...
Don

You have to start printing your pics Luke! My walls are adorned with pics of my grandson, my family, my travels and my macros. All of which I have taken and which I routinely change. I learned to stop being so critical of my work a long time ago and just start enjoying it.

I've never printed a photo of mine and I'm not sure I'll ever be satisfied enough to print anyway, but for the small difference and the cheapness of storage it makes sense to shoot fine.

Have a little more faith, Luke. You've got some awesome pics of those that I've seen. I'm extremely guilty of rarely printing myself, but there is some great satisfaction to be had in seeing an image you like on the screen translate to something that you can hold in your hand and hang on your wall.

Back