50mm compact?

FF dslr cameras scare me !

I'm thinking something more like this comparison: D600 vs RX1.
Compare camera dimensions side by side

But the RX1 is not a 50mm.

RX1ME.jpg

BTW, what is not shown on the RX1 is the grip that everyone is buying so they're able to hold onto the camera. I would bet when you add it you're now talking the same depth as the camera to right in this photo.

Also, since the RX1 has a 35mm lens on it, the same lens on the camera on the right when added has a total body and lens length of 71mm compared to the RX1's 69.6mm. I would bet if Sony made a 50mm version of the RX1 that lens will be bigger than the 35mm version.

There's not that much difference other than with the RX1 all you get is a 35mm FOV and no internal viewfinder. BTW, how much height does the EVF add to the camera? I just looked and the height of the Sony EVF is 30.75mm making the Sony RX1 with EVF attached 96mm tall.

The FF camera I was comparing it too is only 80mm tall.

There was a rumor about an Olympus 25mm 1.8 but I don't know if/when it will be released.

RX1 has a 50mm crop which is equivalent of 16MP. RX1 users can comment how useable it is.

If you go to manual lenses, there are Voigtlander 35mm 1.4 and 2.5 lenses which are pancake size.

Also there is contax zeiss g af adapter for nex so you can use 35mm/45mm. It is not fast but it works:
Special plan: to try AF corresponding adapter Contax G lens - digital camera Watch

There was a rumor about an Olympus 25mm 1.8 but I don't know if/when it will be released.

RX1 has a 50mm crop factor which is equivalent of 16MP crop. RX1 users can comment how useable it is.

If you go to manual lenses, there are Voigtlander 35mm 1.4 and 2.5 lenses which are pancake size.

Also there is contax zeiss g af adapter for nex so you can use 35mm/45mm. It is not fast but it works:
Special plan: to try AF corresponding adapter Contax G lens - digital camera Watch

All of these options are just work arounds. These camera bodies/sensors were not designed to be used with the lenses that don't have the correct lens mounts. Its great that there are third party vendors that have made these adapters but that's all you're doing is adapting.

The Ricoh GXR-M was the best of how to make a sensor/mount combo to work with a group of lenses they never made.

You don't see Sony or Olympus making the M mount adapter or any other adapter. They want you to use their lenses.

I went through this routine with my GXR-M being a cropped sensor and trying to find a fast FOV to work shorter than 50mm. I gave up and bought the real thing.

You could always go the FF route and use an actual 50mm FOV lens and find them in a variety of f-stops along with about any other focal length from 12.5 - 135. And it's not really that much bigger.

Olympus OM-D vs a FF body: Compare camera dimensions side by side

Fuji X100S vs a FF body: Compare camera dimensions side by side

Fuji X-Pro vs a FF body: Compare camera dimensions side by side

Duane, not saying it aint tempting - certainly is. But price is an object, and so I'd want to spend a little less than 10k for a body and lens combo. Actually, my budget would be far closer to $1k. :blush:

I know I know but then I haven't been hanging here much in the past few months but it there are some that get a hankering for something new pretty. Add a few of those purchases together and you're getting closer to the cost of a body.

I didn't say you had to buy the name brand lenses either so there are ways to pay less than 10k or so.

Granted I have done this and hope it doesn't sound too much like I'm wanting company but since I have some of these comparisons don't mean much to me anymore either. So I should probably just sit back and enjoy the conversation as is. (8>)

I seriously doubt that an M mount 24mm or 25mm would work to its full potential on m4/3. I would expect smearing and color shifts at the corners, just because of how close the rear element sits in regard to the sensor. R lenses should work fine, albeit with a significant increase in size.

I do realize that it is an expensive piece of kit, but a 50mm 2.8 Elmar (collapsible) on a Leica M, M-E, or M9 is a fairly compact, wonderful alternative with a true 50mm FOV. This is what it looks like, extended and ready to use, and sporting a lens shade:

7114100835_0094d9f004.jpg

2012 Leica M9P by ramirezaponte, on Flickr

BTW, this particular Elmar was bought for $850 from an eBay seller. In mint condition.

Cheers,

Antonio

Can't afford to go big (money), so my everyday camera/lens is the E-p3 with Vivitar 24mm, f2.8, and the 58mm filter. No, it ain't compact any more in that combination, but it's my favorite affordable combination, for an old man on fixed income. And I don't consider myself handicapped. Yes, I'd like the new GX-7 with a fixed, compact, 25mm f1.7, or something similar. But I not spending much time thinking about what I can't have at this time. I've settled in with a great combination, for my style of photography. And, I understand, that it doesn't fit the need or desire of everyone. But happiness is where you find it! :)

I seriously doubt that an M mount 24mm or 25mm would work to its full potential on m4/3. I would expect smearing and color shifts at the corners, just because of how close the rear element sits in regard to the sensor. R lenses should work fine, albeit with a significant increase in size.

I have no idea what Leica lens does what, but just wanted to point out that Ricoh isn't the only company to officially "sanction" the use of lenses other than their own.

The Fuji xe1 w/ the 27 pancake is pretty compact.. About the same size as their x20. But in fixed focal length, something close to true 50, there is only the sigma dp2 series.. As u had mentioned at the start of the thread. Rx1 in 50 crop mode if I remember correctly.. I think rx100 can e setup to turn on to last focal length by using a custom config.. Someone mention that in a forum a long time ago. The gxr w/ 35f2 cron is what I have on my Ricoh.

Gary

The Fuji xe1 w/ the 27 pancake is pretty compact.. About the same size as their x20. But in fixed focal length, something close to true 50, there is only the sigma dp2 series.. As u had mentioned at the start of the thread. Rx1 in 50 crop mode if I remember correctly.. I think rx100 can e setup to turn on to last focal length by using a custom config.. Someone mention that in a forum a long time ago. The gxr w/ 35f2 cron is what I have on my Ricoh.

Gary

That's what I shot on my GXR too. The challenge if you wanted to go a little wider and fast with a M mount lens there really isn't an affordable option. I don't consider f2.8 fast.

A perfect cropped sensor 35mm would be a 24mm lens. But since everyone is not going to spend the money on a FF M body you're sure not going to spend the money for a Leica 24 Lux.

Duane, the Leicas for me are at present not an option....simply because for less money I have an OMD with a compliment of zooms and prime lenses, a GR and an RX1 with EVF.....and with enough spare change left over for a ski trip to Japan later this year. But thats just a choice and compromise I've made...the next guy would perhaps make a different choice and set of compromises....all good.

I realise all too well that the RX1 is a 35mm...but I put it up because I consider it in many ways to be a milestone compact camera in the same way the X100 was, Sony is kicking goals and have filled me with the hope that in a year or two they will crack the matrix and put out a compact FF with a fast 50...and if the planets align they may even release it with an inbuilt EVF, I wouldn't put anything past the Sony design guys these days....and now that they are in bed with Olympus it may even have that weird 5-axis IBIS thing :)

I agree with the sentiment that there is something of a hole in the market that could/should be filled with a compact 50mm and it doesn't have to be a FF either, I'm sure there are plenty of people (myself included) who would be beside themselves with joy at the news of a small GR 50....or an X100L 50/2.
I do wonder why it hasn't already been done in a small fixed lens compact (sorry Sigma DP2m...no disrespect)...I have always been of the impression that in the past an f2 or faster 50mm was quite common....or is it just that my own personal preference for a shooting pair of a good 28 and a fast 50 has simply blinded my judgement ? Camera manufacturers it appears certainly think so.

These days I'm really digging the 'bag of compacts' rather than a 'bag of lenses' idea. I like the 35mm FOV in it's own right....but I'd like a 28mm+50mm tag-team even more. One day someones going to make that relatively affordable fast 50 compact and my brain is going to explode :eek:

I completely understand and agree in many ways. I have determined over the last year or so that I'm a 50mm shooter. I've had a 28 Elmarit and a 90 Elmarit in my bag and sold them to get an older 35 lux. I found the 28 too wide. My version of the 35 lux can be soft wide open but at f/2 and no problems. I'm wishing I still had the 90 I had as its very hard finding the version I had in nice condition.

But I could see carrying a matching set of 35 and 50 f/2 fixed lens cameras that had the same controls. And they would have to have a simpler menu/control system from what exists today in the Sony.

I'm officially spoiled with the Leica's simplicity.

I'm officially spoiled with the Leica's simplicity.[/QUOTE said:
This rings a bell for me. Of all the cameras I ever owned i always preferred the Nikon FM2. I sold and re bought about 4. Always thinking I needed the latest whizz bang model. This is probably why i enjoy the nikon V1 so much. Simple menu and only the stuff you really need to make pictures.
One of my V1's has the 18.5 attached and the other has the 10. As for the 32mm its still a little rich for me. I cant ever see myself in a position where i could afford a Leica, but if I had one it would have a 50mm on it and I Know I would enjoy using it. Simplicity rules ! (for me)

Good thing is there are lots of 50mm choices that are adaptable to that.

This is one thing I keep thinking about. Imagine the MF legacy 135mm lenses, 50mm lenses and 28mm lenses that suddenly are useful again. I hope Sony has the brains to make the camera as photography-friendly as possible. SS and EV dial, in built VF. Focus peaking/easy focus magnification. IBIS. Even with Sony's history of slow lens releases on NEX, you might not need them right away with all the good legacy glass.

Back