Canon New G12

Isoterica

Hall of Famer
So after trying a few cameras, Fuji 10 [loved but sensor blooming], Ricoh GRD IV [again loved but accessories add up fast!] , I finally landed on a G12. I am used to Canon as that's my DSLR brand, I like that the majority of the controls are there in dial form and I don't have to search menu but now I must charge the battery and tinker.

Also, for travel, does anyone even bother with a speedlite? I got a 270EX but not sure I'll really need it. I would say most of vacation would be outside or well lit enough being it's summer down under.. recommendations? And yes I got a spare battery..

**Still may repurchase a GRD IV at a later date btw.

I loved my G11 when I had it, and I miss it more than I thought I would! I've been considering getting a G12 too, but keep thinking that Canon will release a new G camera and I am waiting waiting. Your summer down under is probably going to be very wet with occasional sunny days. The speedlite might be useful but I don't think I'd bother...

I wanted to wait for a new G as well Sue but it was time given vacation coming. I can always upgrade later. Rain.. so we are going into your rainy season? I will make note of that and bring my rain jacket LOL. Also I heard a canon rumour of a digital rangefinder possibly? That would be cool.

Kristen, I've always been fond of the Canon G series, from my very first digital (G2) through the G10 with three other stops along the way. About the time I was considering whether to leapfrog to the G12, along came the Panny GF1. My current Canon attention is turned to the little S100 as a fairly significant upgrade to the S90, my belt companion for a couple years.

But turning back to the G12, I have a friend who's a pro photographer (Canon gear) who swears by his G12 for casual images. It saved his vacation when a thief grabbed his 5D and L zoom while he was dining outdoors in Quito...

Re the GRD4, to what were you referring re cost of accessories? Optical viewfinder? Yes, they're very proud of that...

I will ensure my gear against theft but of course theft can still happen and reimbursement would only come after the fact, when vacation is over. DSLR, G12, Rangefinder is the plan. And yes accessories.. I guess I am an accessory junkie, so extra battery [ a given ] and a viewfinder, even had a nice leather case for it.. that's near to a grand for the GRD. Ouch. Got my G12 + 270EX less than that. Don't get me wrong I stilllll wanttttt it. I'm still debating it with the idea I can sell later which I use less because honestly doing this RIGHT before vacation.. I really haven't had time to settle into anything. Thanks for your input ;)

I would leave the speedlite at home, many of the indoor places you might want to use it, probably will not let you use it anyway. It is just extra weight to lug around

I wanted to wait for a new G as well Sue but it was time given vacation coming. I can always upgrade later. Rain.. so we are going into your rainy season? I will make note of that and bring my rain jacket LOL. Also I heard a canon rumour of a digital rangefinder possibly? That would be cool.

This year has been wetter and cooler than most. I don't remember ever having such a cool summer. We normally go into summer in early spring and by now have temperatures in the high 30s most days. Today though, its only 23 outside, and is cloudy with a cool breeze. I dont mind, I dont cope well with the heat... I think I was meant to live in the northern hemisphere! Alaska, maybe.

I think you are right Bob. I don't want to overdo it.. I just don't want to be missing something essential. It is a vacation. One we want to record, obviously. But not a professional photo trip.

BB you are right and actually we will be packed this week, early. I just have to itemize the gear and send it to the ins. co.

You know Sue this year our December has been unseasonably warm. Now I won't complain, particularly if the snow storms come when I am out in your neck of the woods, however by now there is usually below zero temperatures or close to.. and intermittent snow. Since I'm not great with really hot days I'll be happy it's not too warm there.

Just picked up a G12 yesterday. Sold my Nikon DSLR gear to pay off some other expenses and wanted a decent all-around small (and inexpensive) camera. With the recent prices of the G12, I don't think anything else is a better choice. I know the new G will likely be announced in a few days - but at $800 it would be twice what I paid for my G12! Maybe for Christmas 2012? :)

I'm really pleased with my G12 so far, I gave my Nikon D50 to my daughter for university and was very fortunate to be given the G12 for my birthday. I love its compact size and its manual and creative functions. Hoping to get a zoom lens fitted to it when ive figured it out.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk

Back