1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

6 days, 2600 miles, X10 on a motorcycle..

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by photogfollett, Jun 27, 2012.

1. photogfollett

photogfollett SC Regular

Feb 7, 2012
    Roseburg, Oregon
    John
    I just got back from a 6 day, 2600 mile motorcycle trip with a friend that went from Southern California to Route 66 to the Grand Canyon, to Utah and Monument Valley, Canyonlands N.P., The Arches N.P., Bryce N.P., Zion N.P., Las Vegas, SoCal and then back home to the S.F. Bay Area. While just about every day the temperatures were 100º to 115º the X10 held up well resting in my tank bag. The only down side to a motorcycle adventure is that I passed up sooo many photo opportunities due to the fact that we were putting in 400-550 miles per day. :frown:
    I'll have to go back and do the trip in a car one of theses days.
    Anyway, here's a few pics I took along the way;

Route 66 in Needles, California
    Route-66-LR_web.

Grand Canyon, Arizona
    Grand-Canyon-1-LR_web.

Monument Valley, Utah
    Monument-1-LR_web.

Hoover Dam, Nevada
    Hoover-Dam-LR.

Thanks for looking!

• Like Like x 10
  2. winginkris

winginkris SC Veteran

Dec 15, 2011
    A couple of years ago, I took a similar motorcycle trip going from Southern Caifornia to the east coast then back. I packed all of my camera gear with the intention of taking lots of photos, but so much time was spent in the saddle I had little time to take many pics. Next time, I'll plan for more "sight seeing" time. Glad you had a safe trip!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Archiver

Archiver SC Top Veteran

Jul 11, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    Nice photos. Processed from raw, I assume? The X10 has worked very well for you.

• Like Like x 1
  4. photogfollett

photogfollett SC Regular

Feb 7, 2012
    Roseburg, Oregon
    John
    Thanks. Actually I processed those from the jpg files, although I have some duplicate raw format files. I was in kind of a hurry to give my riding buddy some pictures from our trip so he could post the copy on a ride thread on a motorcycle forum. I'm still getting use to the X10 and all of its complexity. It was particularly challenging with a lot of harsh, mid day sun and the haze from the fires in Arizona and Colorado..

• Like Like x 1
  5. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    John, that had to have been an amazing trip! I hope you'll put more of your pictures up and give us a link to the set on Flickr when you set one up. There's so much of America that I haven't yet seen!

The song "Route 66" keeps running through my head... Looking forward to seeing more, along with some of you and your friend, I hope!

• Like Like x 1
  6. drd1135

drd1135 SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    You seem to have done well with the midday light. I have found the X-10 to be a great motorcycle camera.

• Like Like x 1
  7. photogfollett

photogfollett SC Regular

Feb 7, 2012
    Roseburg, Oregon
    John
    Thanks! I have to admit that I kept singing the Route 66 song in my helmet while riding along. Unfortunately, my riding buddy had loaned me an in helmet communication device for the trip! It took a while to stop singing and talking to myself....
    Here's a link to some uploads of the trip on Photobucket. These are just unprocessed images for memories sake..

Southwest ride 2012 pictures by JohnFollett - Photobucket

• Like Like x 3
  8. drd1135

drd1135 SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Many good ones there as well. I like the Route 66 shield painted on the ground in Needles.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Briar

Briar SC All-Pro

Oct 27, 2010
    Scotland
    Karen
    These are great. I don't know how you could pass so much beautiful scenery and not stop to take photographs. Sounds like a fantastic trip.

• Like Like x 1