Fuji what to do!!!

watches

Appreciate your time for a moment...Just sold my D3 and most lenses....looking to scale back both in $ and bulk. Have been seriously looking at the X100 (although never held one) to buy as my replacement. So many different opinions on this camera. I am satisfied with the lens situation, but with the latest firmware update is there any reason why i should "stay away"...

Thank you

watches

Renting before you buy is my suggestion. I see a lot of people buy and sell because they are unhappy and it just seems sensible to try things out. If you have a friend with one, even better.

Hi, and welcome.

Can you offer some details on what you like to photograph, under what conditions etc? Also, what is your final output: web only, prints (if so, common sizes).

A D3 and X100 are seriously different critters. Knowing what you like to shoot, and maybe future ambitions, will guide us in sharing our experiences and thoughts.

I love mine, but it's not for everyone. I find that my interest in photography has been returned to me after using the x100 for a couple of months. I went through a lot of digital gear, but I never felt the passion that I used to feel when I shot 35mm. Somehow, with the x100 that passion has returned and I'm back looking at photography in a way I haven't in a long time. It is the quirkiest camera I've ever used, but the image quality makes up for it. I've sold almost all of my dslr gear. The x100 stays by my side all of the time, I can't say that about any camera I've owned since the 35mm days. If you can live a fixed focal length and great image quality, this is an excellent camera. Again, like anything else, it's not for everyone. As mentioned above, renting one would be a great idea. Just my two cents.

cameras seem to be changing so quickly these days - every month

in the days of film cameras there was 35mm format which dominated - with cameras, the SLR with interchangeable lens and say the 35mm fixed lens compact - (OK there were others - but not anywhere near as popular)

no there is an overwhelming choice - and you almost need three or four cameras to cover all shooting situations

I feel that I need the following

1). A conventional DX DSLR with an array of lens - certainly a 300mm fixed or tele and a Macro plus MF lens - Nikon D300

2). An RF cam or RF "style" - M8 or say a Ricoh or Sigma or Fuji X100 - throw some good glass in there

3). an M43 cam or similar - G series Pana or EP Oly - with an array of lens

4). a super (pocketable) compact - S95 or similar

5). Now maybe a bridge with a super tele zoom - say up to 600mm + - HS20 or the new XS whatever they call it

all the above are different - IQ for one - but other differences and (preferences)

I'd consider others before the X100 to give you more flexibility

(but others will be announced every month to confuse us further - the OM-D looks interesting)

You're coming from a very high end DSLR that has wickedly fast auto focus, focus during burst modes, etc. The X100 is NOTHING like that. Its a very deliberative camera to use. Its AF is very good but its not fast (even by compact camera standards) and until you learn its subtleties you can miss focus or have a lot of trouble focussing in low light. It also really helps to understand parallax in terms of understanding how to best AF with the optical viewfinder. Its a great camera but it seemed like a LOT of folks who went from a DSLR to the X100 when it first came out were highly dis-satisfied. So, if that all sounds OK to you, go for it.

But if not...

Consider one of the better new m43 cameras. The image quality isn't QUITE as good as the X100 or other APS sensor cameras, but its very good and only really falls off a bit in very low light (and its not BAD in low light). These cameras (Olympus EP3, Panasonic G3 for example) are MUCH MUCH MUCH smaller than your DSLR, but are very fast in operation, have excellent auto-focus, etc, and you can shoot it in a way you're probably familiar with. You can also get a few lenses to cover your favorite types of shooting and they'll be MUCH MUCH MUCH smaller than the equivalent DSLR lenses. You'll be able to walk around with a pretty complete m43 kit in a pretty small and very light bag.

You need to go play with some of these cameras somewhere - don't take our word for any of it. You have a lot of experience with some pretty high end gear and only you'll know what feels right to you...

-Ray

Hi Watches,

Welcome to the site - a great place to be - below are my views of the X100 based on my experience since getting mine on 10 Dec 2011.

The X100 is a fantastic camera providing you are aware of it's limitations before you buy it.

I recently traded in my leica M8.2 due to poor IQ above 640, 2x LCD screen problems (Coffe stain) and the need / cost for dioptre lenses for eyesight correction, as part of the deal I got the X100.

I can honestly say that in my opinion, it is the best thing I did, the X100 offers incredible IQ at all ISO's, and the lens is super sharp even at wide open, it is a well made camera with tactile dial input that I love and the viewfinder is..............amazing! I use mine for street / landscape and have no issues with the AF speed / accuracy (it did come with latest firmware 1.1). The only thing that can be a challenge is manual focussing but I hardly use that and when I do, I use AF/AE then tweak manually - it works.

You appear to be well aware and happy to accept the limitations of a fixed lens (it is superb) and willing to accept the change from a top of the range high speed DSLR to a smaller, slower rangefinder style camera that offers quality and portability at a good price - good choice.

You can see my X100 images at my 571 blogsite (link below) - high 4000ISO images included.

Back