Micro 4/3 Leica 45mm Macro Elmarit

MichaelChiara

Regular
So I recently acquired the 45mm elmarit macro for my panasonic gf1 and I must say I'm pleased so far. Some sample images taken over the weekend with the family out for a walk.

The IQ is very nice, the focus speed is pretty fast although I have had a few times where the focus missed and it took a while to lock on target. This may be due to my inexperience with the lens. The weight of the lens is unbelievably light and a perfect match for the GF1. So far my few days with the lens has been very happy.

Hover_Fly.jpg

Hover Fly

Sleeping_Bee1.jpg

Bee

SleepingBee_2.jpg

Bee

Spotted_Cucumber_Beetle.jpg

Spotted cucumber beetle

Wow! Michael, I am stunned by the the astounding clarity and detail of these! Those first two in particular have me sitting here with my mouth hanging open! Your first is not only an amazing example of macro work, but also a beautiful image - the way you and this lens have worked out just the right depth of field...and the framing. It's a really lovely shot and perfectly composed.:bravo-009:

It would be great if you could tell us some more about this lens and why you chose it. I've just done a quick search on it and found it described via B&H Photo
The Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH. MEGA O.I.S. Lens has a built-in image stabilizer. The lens allows you to capture your subjects in their actual size. It is also great as a medium-length telephoto lens for portraits, snapshots and landscapes.

• Micro Four Thirds mount
• For LUMIX G Series Digital SLR Cameras
• 90mm equivalent in 35mm format
• Capture subjects in actual size
• Minimum focus distance 0.5'

That description says a great deal, as does the Leica name but what made it be the lens to get for you?

Boy, that surely shows how ignorant I am! I didn't realize that Leica had designed this for the Panasonic micro four thirds cameras.:redface: So, does that mean it does offer the ability to auto focus or does one need to manually focus on a macro lens like this?

P.S. I've now edited my first post due to embarrassment and the wish for accuracy.;)

although I believe that you lose IS when using it as a Macro - but most of the time you would use a tripod anyway for such shots so even if it was available you would turn it off

Here's one of my shots with this lens (I bought mine used on mu-43.com :) )

web.jpg

I also used it for my "dinosaur" shots yesterday, though they are simply for fun and don't really show off the lens.

Michael, these are great! I especially like the second bee photo.

BB, not only does this lens AF, it has a focus limiter switch which allows it to focus much quicker than most AF macro lenses when using it for non-macro purposes. It really is a great lens, the sales of which are probably hampered a bit by early reviews showing it to be not quite as sharp as the Olympus ZD 50/2 macro. I was put off by those reviews (especially the DPReview test charts) myself, but I'm glad I gave it a try. It's one of those lenses that gets criticized by lots of folks who haven't used it but is well loved by just about everyone who has one.

These are great the 2nd is very lifelike
You need GREAT patience with Bees (tried it)
They always move when you press the shutter :rolleyes:

Michael, these are great! I especially like the second bee photo.

BB, not only does this lens AF, it has a focus limiter switch which allows it to focus much quicker than most AF macro lenses when using it for non-macro purposes. It really is a great lens, the sales of which are probably hampered a bit by early reviews showing it to be not quite as sharp as the Olympus ZD 50/2 macro. I was put off by those reviews (especially the DPReview test charts) myself, but I'm glad I gave it a try. It's one of those lenses that gets criticized by lots of folks who haven't used it but is well loved by just about everyone who has one.
Indeed Amin this lens for me is a Keeper

Back