70-300mm CX Samples

Discussion in 'Nikon 1 Forum' started by Lava, Jul 9, 2014.

1. Lava

Lava SC Regular

Apr 21, 2014
    I received a 70-300mm CX yesterday. Nikon USA had them in stock. Only had daylight for a few photos last night and found them all unusable at 300mm, as I had forgotten to turn the VR on and I had too much motion blur in low light.

I shot some of these around 1:00 pm and some around 7:30 today with a Nikon V2 and the 70-300mm CX lens. My initial impression is that the lens is well built, the optics are sharp, and the VR is good. It hunts for focus, but I think that can be managed. I formerly shot with a Sigma 50-500mm on DSLR bodies and had similar issues., though not as pronounced.

These photos are cropped (except the dog) with some light Photoshopping. All of them were at f/5.6 at either ISO 800 or ISO 1600.

The dog, the lizard, and the spider were at 300mm. The others were at 172mm.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 12
  2. bilzmale

bilzmale Super Moderator Emeritus

Jul 17, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill Shinnick
    Some nice shots there despite your limitations.

3. Lava

Lava SC Regular

Apr 21, 2014
    Rat Snake from tonight at 300mm in the rain.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  4. Lava

Lava SC Regular

Apr 21, 2014
    Moon

V2 and 70-300mm CX. Last night's moon at 300mm. Adjusted the contrast and levels, cropped, and sharpened. VR was very useful.

Attached Files:

• moon.
      moon.jpg
      File size:
      82.7 KB
      Views:
    • Like Like x 4
  5. john m flores

john m flores SC All-Pro

Aug 13, 2012
    Thx for sharing. I was curious about the lens.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Lava

Lava SC Regular

Apr 21, 2014
    Swallowtail

My pleasure. So far, it's not the "magic" lens we may have hoped for, but the optics are terrific and the reach is unparalleled -- at least in a small package. The autofocus isn't what I was hoping it could be, but that comes with 800mm equivalents and f/5.6, I think.

Here is another shot from moments ago at 300mm.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  7. Lava

Lava SC Regular

Apr 21, 2014
    This nest is atop power lines. I drove underneath and propped my V2 and 70-300mm CX through the sunroof of my car. I spot metered and then adjusted +2 EV. ISO 400, f/5.6, 1/800.

Attached Files:

8. Nathan

Nathan SC Regular

Jul 22, 2014
    Okay I'll bite :)

In what way is it not the magic lens we were hoping for?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Lava

Lava SC Regular

Apr 21, 2014
    What I meant is that like all lenses, it makes tradeoffs. The autofocus hunts and the f/5.6 leads to higher ISO than I would like.

That said, in the time since I wrote the original post, I have come to like the lens more and more. :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. BillN

BillN SC Hall of Famer

Aug 25, 2010
    S W France
    Bill
    sorry I cannot get your image in this posting

for comparison V1 with 300 f2.8 PRIME

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  11. Nathan

Nathan SC Regular

Jul 22, 2014
    Fair enough. Well I've got one on order. Seems to be out of stock.

Here's hoping it works well for wildlife for me, which is my main use.

12. Nathan

Nathan SC Regular

Jul 22, 2014
    Update: still no ship date. Looks like all vendors are out of stock. That original run of lenses was VERY small.....

13. dougjgreen

dougjgreen SC Regular

Jan 10, 2014
    Actually, I think the real reason was, there was huge pent-up demand for this lens. Realistically, this lens is really the most important lens in the system (other than DSLR lenses on the FT-1) for anyone who wants to take advantage of the main calling card of the Nikon 1 system - Long reach with fast continuous AF - when shooting action and wildlife.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Nathan

Nathan SC Regular

Jul 22, 2014
    That makes sense. It was certainly a selling point on trying out the system, as a possible replacement for MFT, as my main rig!

I guess we are all waiting on a slow boat from (insert country of manufacture here).