1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

70 year old photos. Great quality!

Discussion in 'Film Camera Forum' started by winginkris, Apr 30, 2012.

1. winginkris

winginkris SC Veteran

Dec 15, 2011
    • Like Like x 11
  2. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I just want photos that look like this SOOC.....is that too much to ask?

3. Armanius

Armanius Bring Jack back!

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    Very cool!

4. HeatherTheVet

HeatherTheVet SC All-Pro

Apr 23, 2011
    Scotland
    Heather
    They are wonderful. It really changes the way you think about things.

5. elsie350

elsie350 SC Regular

Apr 7, 2012
    Amazing pictures

6. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    quality of the photos aside, I love the way it shows how important the role of women was in WWII. The men went off to war, but women kept it running.

7. flysurfer

flysurfer SC Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2011
    Aren't these rather like 70 years old?

8. winginkris

winginkris SC Veteran

Dec 15, 2011
    WHOOPS! I meant to type 70, should have double checked before I submitted. Can't find a way to fix it. Sorry for any confusion.

9. winginkris

winginkris SC Veteran

Dec 15, 2011
    Fixed!

10. Wolf

Wolf SC Veteran

Mar 4, 2012
    wow great stuff

11. bartjeej

bartjeej SC Hall of Famer

Nov 12, 2010
    bart
    Not sure which I like better, the textures or the colours... either way, fantastic photos, thanks for the link!

12. KVG

KVG SC Regular

May 24, 2012
    Calgary, Alberta
    Kelly
    Killer collection

13. Ballenxj

Ballenxj SC Regular

Dec 17, 2011
  14. Isoterica

Isoterica SC Hall of Famer

Dec 6, 2011
    Studio set ups and who says that they aren't pushing or pulling the film as they develop.. if only it was sooc. But even with film it isn't... if you do it the hands on way.

15. TraamisVOS

TraamisVOS SC Hall of Famer

Nov 29, 2010
    Melboune, Australia
    Some of those photos look like they were taken yesterday, very clear clean images.

16. stillshunter

stillshunter Super Moderator Emeritus

Nov 5, 2010
    Down Under
    Mark
    Totally and utterly mind-blowing. Those colours, those textures :cloud-9-039: I want me a roll of Kodachrome....though I fear buying an M-Monochrom might be cheaper than securing 36 frames :blush:

It begs the question: will our great grandchildren's generation be able to do the same with our RAW or JPEG files?

17. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    two things here Mark ...

1. Please look up "question begging" online somewhere ... it doesn't mean what everyone thinks it means and, as the owner of a "useless liberal arts degree" as well as being a pedantic arse, it pains me to see it misused.

2. Kodachrome: I have a roll of Kodachrome64 in my possession. I imagine it has been sat in someone's loft for about a quarter of a century, and there's about a foot of leader sticking out, so I have no idea whether it's used and been partially rewound, or unused and just lost a few frames. If you really really want some Kodachrome, I will entertain offers of large amounts of cash :biggrin:

18. stillshunter

stillshunter Super Moderator Emeritus

Nov 5, 2010
    Down Under
    Mark
    Obviously you're not alone mate in having received a high distinction in "Pedant 302" :wink:...there's websites dedicated to correcting ignoramuses like me just on this one turn of phrase. :doh: Man, I'm an arts bachelor myself but I suppose with my philosophy double major we were too busy picking the lint out of our belly buttons to apply thought to semantics. :blush: Got some seriously good drinking time in and had a riot contemplating our Cogito Ergo Sum, brain in a vat, Buridan's Ass, etc. Oh so many memories.....oh who am I kidding, I lost more brain cells in those 4 years than for the entirety of my existence since - so can't recall squat.

I'll open the bidding at $1.00 :wink:

BTW: The question remains....ummm....unanswered.

19. mmacleodbrown

mmacleodbrown SC Regular

Oct 10, 2010
    London
    Wow, what beautiful warm colours, what did we lose when we went digital?
    I know we gained a whole lot as well, but those colours are amazing..

20. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    All jokes and offtopic stuff to one side ... these really are wonderfully crafted photographs, and the handling of dof and lighting (very few of the factory shots are candids) shows a master at work. The clarity and detail and what we'd now call "dynamic range" are fantastic. I suppose some of that is to be expected from the format used.

Apparently the photographer (Alfred T Palmer) was once tripod-carrier to some guy named Ansel Adams ... from whom, by the looks of things, he learned a lot.

As documents they are also fascinating - the "heroic poses" remind me of Soviet propaganda photography from the same period, not surprising given that Palmer created this series as an employee of the US government.

thanks for thinking to share this with us all Chris

thanks