Scanners negative scanning

jbart

Rookie
Does anyone have film negatives scanned? I am in Ottawa, Canada and hoping to find something reasonably priced.
Right now I am looking at getting some old negatives scanned and then maybe blown up. It is a gift for Xmas for my wife.

Thanks in advance film buffs!

I do know that summerki AKA Kevin has been using a scanner quite a bit recently. I'm sure when he sees this thread you've started that he'll be happy to share his tools with you. I think he's working on something similar as a present, too.

Does anyone have film negatives scanned? I am in Ottawa, Canada and hoping to find something reasonably priced.
Right now I am looking at getting some old negatives scanned and then maybe blown up. It is a gift for Xmas for my wife.

Thanks in advance film buffs!
Hi
I use the Epson V700 which has carriers to handle 35mm film / slide and 2 1/4 SQ format film
Quality is excellent but not as good as the Nikon drum scanner
For A4 prints the V700 is excellent it is expensive ($700 AUS)

Hi there,

Boyzo's recommendation is the best solution but as he points out it is expensive. I have read that some people will buy something similar on eBay and then re-sell it when done with their scanning of negatives.

I bought this last year for $80 STAPLES | BUREAU EN GROS . It is fast and produces average results which can be fixed in post processing but with limitations

When the photo has a large clear subject then the result can be quite good after some simple LR3 adjustments - contrast, white balance, and noise reduction. However, The software in this scanner oversharpens so when the subjects are medium to small, it can be difficult to correct in post-processing.

As an alternate suggestion, flatbed scanning of 4x6 photos can turn out quite well. You get high resolution, much better colors and contrast. The tradeoff is its highly manual and very slow if you plan to do a lot of photos. Dust on the scans is also an issue.

If you go to my gallery Miscellaneous - SeriousCompacts.com Gallery, there's a photo of my wife and me from 20 years ago using the film scanner - about 2 inches of hairline and 15 pounds ago ... getting old sucks :(

I've also uploaded a flatbed scan of my son and niece titled Julianne the Bully - There is a lot of detail and I was able to sharpen effectively

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions feel free to pm me.

I have used my aging Epson 2400 to scan negatives and slides with satisfactory results. With negatives you will need software to do two things, reverse to a positive and remove the colour cast that is the colour of the film and varies with brand. I use Vuescan software which allows you to select the film type.

If you only want a few scans done Scancafe is well regarded.

thanks all! I was hoping not to have to DIY. Do any photo labs do this still around here? I missed your link to scancafe originally. I might have to try that if I get to it right away.

Aha - I see great minds or lazybones think alike. I'm sure there are places that will do this, but haven't looked into it myself, jbart. Now I'm all ears, until I find out the price - perhaps.;)

Every good shop with photographic items should be able to scan slides, negatives or positives. A limited amount of old memories is easy to drop on the table and the costs are not too high.
Self scanning is much harder than shooting pics. The learning curve is steep and the frustrations big but you convert these analogue memories into numbers for your hard disc to be able to send them to service providers for books and other stuff.

When you want to do it by yourself, raise the hand here.......

thanks all! I was hoping not to have to DIY. Do any photo labs do this still around here? I missed your link to scancafe originally. I might have to try that if I get to it right away.

You can Google Scanning Negatives, many labs offer scanning, but, it can add up very fast if have hundreds of them.....

Did you check if Rexall or other large pharmacies have self-service photo machines? I've seen Fujifilm and Kodak self-service "workstations" that allow you to scan your own negatives and prints/artwork and then order printing services.

I would not buy the $200 and under scanners, the quality is disappointing and that type of scanner has no resale value.

I have a Minolta Dimage Scan Elite II scanner (it compares well to a Nikon Coolscan LS2000/4000). It takes me about ten minutes per slide/neg to do a 4-pass 16-bit TIF scan, do some minor cleanup, and save a cropped JPG. A better scanner, like a Nikon Coolscan 5000 ED or Konica/Minolta Dimage 5700 would be faster, but scanning yourself is still very labor and time consuming.

AidPixto, I never would have guessed that any of the pharmacies would have a negative scanner in their photo departments! What a great thing if they did and they worked well. However, it sure would take a long time to get through the process, I'm sure.

It's just a test shot with a watermark from the software I tried a trial version of. Also, it's horizontally flipped because there is no machine manual around, I put in the slides upside-down, and I didn't notice it until after I closed Photoshop. Also, I did color correction, but Aperture seemed to post the pre-processed version instead of the post.

The underwater shots were so mis-metered as to be unusable (I can see contour, but that's about it).

This lens is also optimized to take shots better under water, so ther's also some barrel distortion as a result.

In short, I'd forgotten what a pain in the tail film can be.

I get good results with an (inexpensive) Epson Perfection V350 Photo - then CS or LR and I'm happy with the results - (better than I got from a photoshop in the UK - the CD that came with my developed film)

Negs to scan.

I was in this situation a few years ago (maybe 10 years:)) I didn't want to go thru all the hassel of scanning all my 1000's of negs taken in the 70's and 80's...I know Im old ! Fortunately here in Phoenix we have a couple of good photoshops that do scanning. Although it was alittle costly it was worth my lazy (BBw) time too. Here are a couple of photos from the old days....Shot with an old either a minolta srt or nikon F ...i can't remember ;)

pipe5.JPG

pipe4.JPG

pipe1.JPG

Hope you don't mind me presenting these here....thanks all

Pete - those are very very good - must be difficult to focus standing on a surf board

- I bet you wish you could surf like that - (when you were younger I mean) - I know that you are "past it" these days

but I suppose that you can dream

haha...i was a wanna be surfer in my teens.... I never got "that" good but I wasnt that bad either. Back than my board was like almost 10 feet long.
And besides I had a great tan.....

Cheers

Back