Film My first rangefinder!

Boid

All-Pro
Name
Rajiv
After losing out on a great deal on a Leica M3, I went and bought the first rangefinder camera I came across on ebay. After spending a few days with my fingers crossed, this just came in the mail today.

Yashica's Electro 35 GTN in fairly decent nick. No visible chips or discoloration, the metering system works, the glass is clean (45mm 1.7 Yashinon lens). Now to actually find some film and shoot!

kCsWo.jpg

Will do so Brian.

I saw your post on the FS forum, and I can't begin to tell you how tempted I am to pick up your gorgeous M3. But with erratic customs clearances in India, I could be stuck with a very big customs bill after buying your camera. For instance the last time I bought a cable release for the X100 from Adomara (total value 10$) I got a sum of 30$ (!!) added on to it, for no perceptible reason.

After losing out on a great deal on a Leica M3, I went and bought the first rangefinder camera I came across on ebay. After spending a few days with my fingers crossed, this just came in the mail today.

Yashica's Electro 35 GTN in fairly decent nick. No visible chips or discoloration, the metering system works, the glass is clean (45mm 1.7 Yashinon lens). Now to actually find some film and shoot!
[/IMG]

Congrats! I have the GSN. They are really nice cameras actually. You can also get the wide angle and tele lens accessories for them too if it turns out you like your shots. Btw that 1.7... I think you'll really like it.

Congrats! I have the GSN. They are really nice cameras actually. You can also get the wide angle and tele lens accessories for them too if it turns out you like your shots. Btw that 1.7... I think you'll really like it.

I'm babystepping into this. Never having taken any meaningful photographs on film, I have no idea what to expect. Spoke to the only guy who stocks film in the city, and he just has a few rolls of B+W film. Quite excited about doing a walkabout over the weekend. I love the idea of a 1.7 - 45mm lens. I'm guessing it'll have to be people. Have peered deeply into it trying to see if there are scratches and specks of dust. Looks clean enough.

I have to say that is a damn pretty thing ... and like Luke, I'm astounded that in a city of nearly 9,000,000 you can only buy film in one place!

Luke I had to fiddle a bit to get the link to work ... or Boid could put
tags around the link but it's a rather big one and makes the page stretch unduly

Congratulations, Boid! I have a GX, similar to your GSN, but somewhat more compact. Don't remember what the actual difference in specs is.
View attachment 53302
And I have also a bigger cousin, Yashica LYNX 14EC with a 45mm f1.4 lens. It's a sweet baby, but a huge one. Smooth as a butter, though.
View attachment 53303
Of all my film cameras, LYNX is my favorite, but sadly also the biggest. It is quite a performer:
View attachment 53304
View attachment 53305
You might find this link very useful:

Yashica Electro 35 & Rangefinder camera user Homepage

I bought from him (an for ten bucks, that is) an adapter so my LYNX could accept modern batteries. Meter works perfectly.
I believe you are set very well. Enjoy!

I have to say that is a damn pretty thing ... and like Luke, I'm astounded that in a city of nearly 9,000,000 you can only buy film in one place!

Luke I had to fiddle a bit to get the link to work ... or Boid could put
tags around the link but it's a rather big one and makes the page stretch unduly

Well, to be fair to the city, I didn't look too hard. Called a few photographer pals, who snickered about the question, and they both pointed me to a camera dealer in this part of the city (the link was to this picture Luke)-

qRE7i.jpg

Congratulations, Boid! I have a GX, similar to your GSN, but somewhat more compact. Don't remember what the actual difference in specs is.
View attachment 53307
And I have also a bigger cousin, Yashica LYNX 14EC with a 45mm f1.4 lens. It's a sweet baby, but a huge one. Smooth as a butter, though.
View attachment 53308
Of all my film cameras, LYNX is my favorite, but sadly also the biggest. It is quite a performer:
View attachment 53309
5308242806_f151a1bf60.png

You might find this link very useful:

Yashica Electro 35 & Rangefinder camera user Homepage

I bought from him (an for ten bucks, that is) an adapter so my LYNX could accept modern batteries. Meter works perfectly.
I believe you are set very well. Enjoy!

Holy mackerel, I love those images. Thanks for sharing!

Back