A Days Nature Watching

Discussion in 'Nature' started by Mal, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Mal

Mal SC Veteran

Sep 23, 2010
    Liverpool / UK
    As it is half-term week... My wife and daughter were in London having a 'girlie' few days away... I thought it the ideal time to have my own away-day. So after checking the weather and the tide timetables... on-line, everything was falling into place. Decided to take one of my Leica's and Canon SX30is for those longer shots...

So I was up at 4.30.am. for the drive to the Dee Estuary and the long walk over the sands (1-1.5 hours) in total darkness to reach the Islands before the tide rushed in to cut off the way back... and leave me on the islands for 8 hours+

Had some great sitings, including short eared owl, gannets, brent geese, dunlin, heron, pippits, sanderlings, turnstones, masses of oyster catcher & gulls and the list goes on and on...:rolleyes:
    [​IMG]
    Reaching the Islands as the sun rises
    [​IMG]
    View to Hilbre Island... I stayed on 'Middle Eye island' to avoid shooting into the sun
    [​IMG]
    Oyster Catchers
    [​IMG]
    Approaching high tide, and totally cut off, and alone on 'Middle eye'
    [​IMG]
    Out to sea...
    [​IMG]
    Is he photographing me??? an inquisitive grey seal
    [​IMG]
    Just some of the 1000's of Oyster Catchers
    [​IMG]
    A long way back to the mainland...
    [​IMG]
    Oyster Catchers
    [​IMG]
    View of 'Middle Eye' as the tide recedes...
    [​IMG]
    Its a shame but its a jungle out there....
    Sorry its such a long post...:wink:

• Like Like x 6
  2. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Really very nice Mal.
    #7 is the outstander for me .

• Like Like x 2
  3. looks like a great place to hang out

• Like Like x 1
  4. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus S.C. Charter Member

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Please, Mal - never ever apologize for "such a long post" especially when it's filled with such super pictures! What a great day you had - and I would much prefer to have gone along with you than with your wife and daughter, even though I, too, am a female. Oyster Catchers are one of my favorites - and that wide eyed seal's face makes a great counter point.

Please continue to add more of your pictures here. I'm living vicariously and enjoying every photograph.:drinks:

5. stillshunter

stillshunter Super Moderator Emeritus

Nov 5, 2010
    Down Under
    Mark
    I'm with BB, Mal. No apologies needed, the longer post simply warrants even bigger thanks for some very enjoyable images....especially from someone land-locked with 100kms or so to the nearest coast. Nice to smell the sea water again. Love the sealion!!!