Nikon Showcase A few experiments with the V1

First of all, I have had my V1 for a few months by now, and it has become my darling, or should I say, my preffered tool, over my Pentaxes and my other cameras. I began with just the 10, and the 10-30, then came the 30-110 (very nice, indeed), the TF1 adapter, a new AF-S 50/1.4G, and a very used AF-S 18-70/3.5-4.5G. To complement this I've got a classic 80-200/4.0, a lens Ken Rockwell calls the sharpest zoom lens Nikon ever have made (he should know).

Anyway, lately I have tested some add-ons to the lenses, with superb results. First I have, for quite some time, tested Canon close-up lenses on the three 1 lenses, with a very good results. These screw-on lenses are available in various sizes, and like the comparative Reynox lenses, they come in various strengths: the 500D moves infinity to 1/2 meter's distance, while the 250D moves it to a 1/4 meter's distance. Works superbly on the 10, but just as good on the other lenses.

Even more interesting, in my mind, is a set of Vivitar video add-on lenses, from ages ago. These are two, one wide angle, and one tele, both with 49mm thread. With a suitable set of stepping rings, they fit perfectly to the three 1 lenses. With the 30-110, the tele add-on, turns the combo to a 416mm lens on a FF camera. The wide add-on lens makes the 10 a bit more of a wide, as its focal length then becomes, in FF terms, 19mm!

Taking comparative test shots, with my Pentax K-5, and a Sigma 150-500, and a Tamron 10-24, the higher resolution of the K-5's sensor (same one as is used in the Nikon D7000), is not very visible compared to the shots taken with the V1 (the wide add-on is not nearly as correct as the tele version, more like a GoPro), and the sharpness is stunning! The wide works best around 12mm, so the 10-30 works best, while for extreme closeups the 250D attached to the 10 is the master - sharp to the front of the lens! The 80-200/4.0 with a closeup lens attached gives stunning results, but the 18-70 is a close second (both with a 58mm 500D Canon close-up lens).

The Canon lenses come just in a few sizes, like 52, 58, & 77mm (there might be more I am not aware of), just like Raynox's.

A few examples: Facebook

200x2.7=superduperzoom!! Can you AF the 80-200?

Alas, the 80-200 is a very manual lens, so no AF. After having carried it around for a while I found it a bit too heavy (and a wee bit difficult to focus correctly), so instead I invested in a Nikon AF-S 55-200/4-5.6G, which works like a dream, as it is surprisingly sharp in the middle (and we don't care about edges, do we?), and AF is its second name, isn't it ;-)?!

So now that's my premier lens, and it takes the Canon 52mm 500D, which easily makes up for the Nikon lens's fairly mediocre close-up capacity. It is worth to note, that it is very difficult to take sharp macros in the '200' end, as the antishake doesn't really make up for low shutter speeds the camera then uses. Around 70mm, on the other hand, it is perfect!

Since then I've invested in the AF-S 70-300 G and it is a dream on the V1, as you can take steady shots of birds with an equivalent focal range of 816mm! Not good for birds flying, as the auto-focus with AF-S lenses is a wee bit primitive, but as long as they are on the ground, no problems at all!

So after testing, and comparing, we'll invest in long lenses for the V1, and my wife's OM-D, when such are available! The Pentax K-5 will be relegated to shorter focal lengths, for the time being (if there will be a FF Pentax one day we might consider that, but there will not be one in the forsee-able future).

Back