Fuji A few more from Madrid...

David_Manning

Regular
Just got back from Madrid...thought I'd post a few shots from that beautiful city all shot with the X100...

6818282477_b0ccbdd892_b.jpg

6818283427_84a1a0e859_b.jpg

6818285485_5d16558d6e_b.jpg

6818286623_56db2f4776_b.jpg

6818288075_b3cc6f0b7c_b.jpg

6818289585_94fe7e66d6_b.jpg

I don't think there's anything resembling a shallow DOF with the X100... It requires quite a distance between subject and background *and* wide open. I've been trying for months.

This is not to detract from the images which are most excellent! And like everyone else, #1 is my favourite.

In the first photo there is some shallow DoF as can be seen in the background there, isn't there? I was wondering about that because of the APS-C sensor in the X100 which should be quite capable of that, plus the relatively wide aperture of the lens.

The guy is standing a few feet from the tables, so you would expect that at f/2 or so, those would be oof. You'd never get his nose in focus and his ears not.

Maybe we need one of the experts to elucidate. Its brilliantly shot, I just wouldn't have called it shallow DoF but maybe that's exactly what it is

To have his nose in focus and ears out of focus would've been asking for a full frame performance (well, depending on the other variables in the shot of course).

But the out of focus background is really nice, I certainly couldn't have gotten that from my LX5, that's for sure, all other equivalent variables in place.

David, wonderful images. I am especially taken with your first, of the waiter, and the your third, of the roaring lion. They both stopped me in my tracks - very arresting photographs.

Hi guys,

Interesting discussion about DoF and the X100. For the waiter shot, the light was low (it was still daylight out, but the sun was below the horizon). I was wide open at f2, and the subject was VERY close...in fact, so close you can see slight distortion in his face compared to his body. That's pretty unusual for a 35mm field of view unless you are CLOSE.

Here is the post on Flickr...it has the exif data in case you're still curious.

Antonio | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Thanks for the interest in the shot. The X100 is a GREAT street machine.

Back