A grippy thing for the XZ-1

Discussion in 'Open Gear Talk' started by kyteflyer, May 30, 2013.

1. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    The one thing Olympus got really badly wrong with the XZ-1 was the lack of a grip. I've never felt safe using it, and it has slipped from my hand on more than one occasion. Hopefully that will no longer occur because I finally got round to ordering a set of Flipbac grip things (got all 3 because I had NO idea which I would prefer) and have now applied one to my much-loved XZ. It may not be as pretty as the Richard Franiec offering, but its nice and soft under the fingers, and feels a little like the rubbery grip on the GRD. I like it.

And, here it is. I've had to remove and reapply it a bit lower down than in this shot, maybe 2-3mm, and its now very comfortable to hold.

2. demiro

demiro Serious Compacts For Life

Dec 15, 2011
    Nice. I have Flipbacs on two cameras and love them. Maybe the highest value accessories I have purchased. It must make the XZ-1 a ton more grippy.

3. Djarum

Djarum SC All-Pro

Jul 10, 2010
    Huntsville, AL
    Jason
    We put a flipbac on my girlfriends XZ-1. Interesting, which model is this? Hers has the "Flipbac" name molded into the grip, while it seems as if yours has some texture.

4. Biro

Biro SC Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Is it not as pretty as the Richard Franiec offering? I dunno. Looks pretty good to me. Nice job, Sue.

5. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    I expected to find Flipbac on it, but no, none of the three I bought have it. They are made in Taiwan which is something I didn't know, from reading on the site. Its just a rubbery kind of texture, similar to the GRD, really. Its the G2. I think. The G1 now looks like a skinny G2.

6. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Oh well, the Franiec grip thing is moulded differently and wraps a little round the side so it looks more a part of the camera. However, it was economics which drove me to buy this, I have three grips for $20 rather than one for over $30... and I can use them on any smooth camera, they dont have to be made specifically for a particular camera... so Flipbac had a lot going for it, straight up.