Grips A grippy thing for the XZ-1

The one thing Olympus got really badly wrong with the XZ-1 was the lack of a grip. I've never felt safe using it, and it has slipped from my hand on more than one occasion. Hopefully that will no longer occur because I finally got round to ordering a set of Flipbac grip things (got all 3 because I had NO idea which I would prefer) and have now applied one to my much-loved XZ. It may not be as pretty as the Richard Franiec offering, but its nice and soft under the fingers, and feels a little like the rubbery grip on the GRD. I like it.

And, here it is. I've had to remove and reapply it a bit lower down than in this shot, maybe 2-3mm, and its now very comfortable to hold.

Nice. I have Flipbacs on two cameras and love them. Maybe the highest value accessories I have purchased. It must make the XZ-1 a ton more grippy.

We put a flipbac on my girlfriends XZ-1. Interesting, which model is this? Hers has the "Flipbac" name molded into the grip, while it seems as if yours has some texture.

We put a flipbac on my girlfriends XZ-1. Interesting, which model is this? Hers has the "Flipbac" name molded into the grip, while it seems as if yours has some texture.

I expected to find Flipbac on it, but no, none of the three I bought have it. They are made in Taiwan which is something I didn't know, from reading on the site. Its just a rubbery kind of texture, similar to the GRD, really. Its the G2. I think. The G1 now looks like a skinny G2.

Is it not as pretty as the Richard Franiec offering? I dunno. Looks pretty good to me. Nice job, Sue.

Oh well, the Franiec grip thing is moulded differently and wraps a little round the side so it looks more a part of the camera. However, it was economics which drove me to buy this, I have three grips for $20 rather than one for over $30... and I can use them on any smooth camera, they dont have to be made specifically for a particular camera... so Flipbac had a lot going for it, straight up.

Back