1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

A most beautiful superfund site!

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by lattiboy, Apr 20, 2016.

1. lattiboy

lattiboy SC Regular

Mar 6, 2011
    Sigma DP2 Quattro. Harbor Island near West Seattle, WA.

15s, ISO200, F/8. The export has a lot more noise than the original. Need to work out how to handle noise with the Quattro.

Very little post, even though it looks very painterly. The Quattro long-exposure is fickle as hell. Sometimes you get blown out madness, sometimes it's a beautiful scene. Seemingly random. Like all Sigma stuff it is capable of greatness, but is more likely to drive you insane.

Info about the Superfund cleanup.

ZJLHC84h.

• Like Like x 7
  2. bilzmale

bilzmale Super Moderator Emeritus

Jul 17, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill Shinnick
    I like it - apart from the Sigma peculiarities how is the camera 'in the hand'.

3. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
  4. ReD

ReD SC Hall of Famer

Mar 27, 2013
    tremendous photo

5. lattiboy

lattiboy SC Regular

Mar 6, 2011
    It's actually not bad! I still have my RX10 and an A6000, but this is my "I believe this to be a picture worth the time" camera.

BULLET LIST!

• I think it's more ergonomically friendly than the Merrill.
    • The shot-to-shot performance and the screen are vastly superior.
    • The focus in low light is still basically unusable, but the manual focus assist does the job well and acts like a modern camera.
    • The custom menus and quick-menus are great! Honestly, the best quick menu system I've used. The control scheme makes sense too.
    • The files process faster with all the new firmware and software upgrades.
    • The image quality is still excellent. I think the Merrill's are slightly "better" in certain situations, but the usability is more than enough to make up for this IMO.
    • It looks weird as hell. I've gotten more questions in 3 days about it then I did in years of shooting with other cameras.
    • Tripod is basically a necessity unless you've got light to spare.
    • Black and white output is superlative. Especially well-exposed JPEGs.
    • Dynamic range sucks, but this is nothing new.
    • Colors, when you hit it, are astonishing. Better than any amount of post processing will achieve with "better" cameras. Especially reds. Apparently the last firmware update improved this dramatically. I didn't use it without, so I can't say.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016