A NEW 2015 Blizzard Photo* Thread

Coffee: check.
Bus Pass: check
Huge hauler overloaded with snow and no place to put it - check...

I remember a series of dumps a lot less impressive around here a few years ago where they ran out of places to put it, were dumping it into the Schuylkill River, and then caused the river to dam up and flood upstream. A mess to put it mildly. Hearing about the "snow farms" that Boston is trying to make work right now sounds unreal, but probably a better solution...

-Ray

Man do I miss snow! :(

NOT ME! My sister outside Boston sent me some shots from the house I grew up in. The path outside the back door looks like a tunnel. I've been enjoying the unseasonably warm 60's and 70's in Albuquerque. I will -- gulp! - be heading to Boston from March 9 to March 16 for my mother's 99th birthday. I told her on the phone she is the only person in the world who I would come to Boston for so soon after all the snow. And that is the truth.

That's about where Boston is getting to, given how much has come down in such a short time. We've been under-funding our mass transportation system (bus / rail) for about 40 years, and nobody's ever had the stomach to suggest fixing it, or those who have then couldn't get it passed. We've got subway cars and switching systems that are well over 10 years past their expected service life... and now we've had something close to 100 inches of snow in 3 weeks. It's failing everywhere, miserably. Trains just can't run. Buses just can't get anywhere because of the gridlock and narrowed streets. People can't get to work. Schools can't open. If I didn't have a bike, I'm not sure how I'd get on living.

Got 3 more inches last night (after these were taken). I think we're now within 2 inches of the record total snowfall. I took just the 56 out to the sledding hill, figured I'd commit to it. Glad I did.

16507990349_690b24afb7_c.jpg
KBRX7006
by gordopuggy, on Flickr

16506798250_c80a5a13ea_z.jpg
KBRX7100P
by gordopuggy, on Flickr

16694188495_ac7e45bb7d_c.jpg
KBRX7104P
by gordopuggy, on Flickr

Freezethawfreezethaw
16694183515_eefae4e4e3_c.jpg
KBRX7152P
by gordopuggy, on Flickr

Biking remains the easiest way to get around. 8pm on a weekend night and look at that stupid traffic. No thanks.
16668241146_3854ce597e_c.jpg
KBRX7165
by gordopuggy, on Flickr

Back