A new (secondhand) adapted lens put to the test (Nikon 20mm f/4 AI)

Discussion in 'Micro Four Thirds Forum' started by grebeman, Dec 12, 2012.

1. grebeman

grebeman Old Codgers Group

Jul 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    I went for a walk this morning around my local lanes with my GH2 fitted with a Nikon 20mm f/4 AI lens.As with most adapted ex film lenses there is some fall of in resolution at the edges of the frame. However vignetting and distortion are not apparent and the lens would seem to require between 1/3 of a stop and 1 stop overexposure, hence it seems to control highlights very well, perhaps it's inherently less contrasty than the modern digital lenses.

At the top of the first lane a look to the east towards the still relatively low sun, no flare evident here

A slight diversion from the footpath across Great Luscombe field to photograph these windblown trees in the hedge

On towards Furze Cross and Bowden. Despite all appearances this is a tarmaced lane

Past Bowden Farm and this wooden skull (or is it the complete animal?) appears above a stone wall. (I may not have fully nailed focus with this one)

Just in case I got lost, although perversely I was taking the fourth, unmarked route

Nearing home as I pass under my favourite windblown tree

The orchard barely 100 yards from my cottage

Not too bad a lens for those of us who like our lenses to have information on the barrel that tells how far away it's focused and be made of good old fashioned brass.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    looks like a keeper. Beautiful natural colors, too.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. tdp

tdp Guest

I think you and the lens did a great job. The landscape makes me think of Shaun the Sheep (which is a good thing, awesome children's show)
  4. bilzmale

bilzmale Super Moderator Emeritus

Jul 17, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill Shinnick
    Nice pickup Barrie and I like the soft colour tonings.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. ajramirez

ajramirez SC All-Pro

Jul 9, 2010
    Caguas, Puerto Rico
    Very nice set of photos, Barrie.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. PapaDee

PapaDee SC Regular

Apr 18, 2011
    Springfield, Virginia USA
    What they said.

I really like #3.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Fuddlestack

Fuddlestack SC Regular

Dec 1, 2010
    Alsace, France
    Very interesting... I have a bunch of Nikon kit, including a very nice Tokina f/4 12-24mm. Your pics encourage me to seek an adaptor. Thanks!
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Gary

Gary SC All-Pro

Aug 19, 2012
    Southern California
    Gary Ayala
    Good Nikkor images. I had a 20mm f/4 way back in the film only days. Loved that lens. Back then 20mm was considered really wide.
    • Like Like x 1