A New Start: Let's get over our gear buying addictions!

Vince, I'm glad to see you figured out the law of diminishing returns. Some GAS is fine but it becomes hard to control. I came to the same realization last year as I:

1-started with a E-PL1
2-added a G1
3-sold the G1
4-sold the E-PL1
5-bought a NEX-3
6-bought and sold 15 manual lenses
7-sold the NEX-3
8-bought Sony A-33 - GASSED out :eek:

I think I did all of that in about 4 months. Part of it was educational, part of it was addressing camera weaknesses and part of it was GAS. As my signature states, I have recovered and now settled into a comfortable setup and can focus on "catching light" :2thumbs:

You forgot to mention that I was your lens pusher durung that time...keeping you in a steady supply of nice quality lenses.

I've been toying with the idea of just going down to 1 body and a few lenses. The problem is that I have a number of really cool lenses...which ones to keep and which to sell?

My GAS report card:

Best acquisitions...Olympus Pen-F 40 and OM100/2.8 (both for ridiculously cheap)
Worst acquisitions...Hexanon 28/3.5 (twice) and Helios 103 (didn't realize it was a Contax RF mount)
Biggest regret selling...OM135/2.8

Hi everyone,

I'm back - completely finished with my exams and assigments at university... forever! Graduation two months away :D

So anyway here's what I really wanted to say:

The past few weeks I've been doing a lot of thinking, partly due to my exams, but also because of my photography.

It's strange I've gotten to the point where I'm a little fed up of wanting new gear/lenses, I feel as though I just want to feel liberated and just get out and shoot...

Acceptance not denial - My name is Vince and I have a problem.

I have gear buying addiction (GAS, LBA, CBA - whatever you want to call it). Somehow I've become fed up of lusting after new equipment, buying it unnecessarily, then making a loss selling it if I don't like it. Ultimately its just a waste of money but also time - I've spend hours researching new gear, looking at reviews and photos taken from it, time I could have been out taking photos and developing my skills.

Let's be frank. A lot of gear we buy we don't need, we want.

Solution = Confrontation - let's beat our gear buying addictions!

Gear buying addiction is one tough cookie. But I believe we can get over it, and here's my idea:

1) Rationalise your kit/set up:

A. Question your photographic style - What do you take photos of, what 'subject(s)' do you photograph mainly?

B. Ask yourself what gear is essential for this - e.g. insects = macro lenses, sports fast telephoto lenses and quick frame rates.

C. Get this essential kit, dispose of the rest! Send it fully insured to me in the UK :) LOL only joking. Perhaps sell it, trade it in or give it to someone who may put it to better use (I 'gave' my LX5 to my mum, when I say gave, I mean 'long-term loan' lol).

It'll be interesting to see how much money you could save by rationalising your kit.

2) Prevention - how to minimise getting gear buying addictions again.

A. Avoid following new gear rumor sites, news and review sites - that new shiny, multi-award winning camera which even won an Oscar and Nobel prize, with ISO10million is always going to be tempting ;-)

B. Avoid classified adverts and ebay auctions - It's always too easy to not let that once in a life-time bargain get away from you, even though you don't need it!

C. Stop looking at the EXIF information of stunning photos, for clues about the camera and lens model! If a photo is stunning, then chances are it's the photographer's eye and skill set which has made it that stunning!

D. Finally, I think we should get out and about and take more photos, develop our skills and train our photographic eyes - not only does this stop you from doing the above because you're away from your computer but because that way you maximise the potential you get out of your gear:

In all honesty I'm often feeling unworthy of my K5 and my now sold FA31, I feel my skills don't live up to the full capabilities or potential of my gear. I feel especially embarrassed when I see photographers take stunning photos with dated DSLR's or tiny point and shoots!

Challenge yourself to make the most of the gear!

So my post exam period has marked a new start for me, graduation soon and the 'real' begining of my working life, but also a new photographic direction.

In my case I take snaps of friends or family, food/flower/object photos as well as a landscape/cityscape or two. I'm also trying to get into street photography and I want to slim my gear down so I can travel with a light set up.

So my gear was: K5, FA31 limited, Sigma 17-70mm 2.8-4.5 macro, 18-55mm WR and a large amount of manual focus glass.

Now I've sold my MF glass and FA31 and hope to have: K5 and a 4 lens set up consisting of the Sigma and 18-55 WR and Pentax DA21 and DA40 for their discreetness, lightweight and tiny size.

What does everyone think? Is anyone with me?

Disclaimer note thingy: It's not a definative solution and no guarantees of success. Think hard before you sell anything so you don't regret it ;)

I came to the same conclusion recently and sold 3 Pentax camera bodies, 7 or 8 lenses, flash etc and bought an M8, a 24mm and a 50mm. That's it until I can afford a 35mm and possibly way down the track an 80ish. I'm happy. I have enrolled in a 24 week online photography course so that I can pour time into improving my technique rather than my gear.(y)

After reading through the latest confessions, I feel much better. Thank you especially to Ray and Antonio for your peer to peer "absolution". In all seriousness, I do agree with all who've written about finding the proper fit or match between what sort of camera works best - that has absolutely been my own GAS, in the past.

Hi Vince,
I want you to know that I have bookmarked your post and I intend to come back and live by it in 10yrs or so.
Im new to this photography lark and am looking forward to hopelessly throwing myself into the joys of GAS until I come out the other side broke and alot wiser..
:)

The dark side is more powerful than the light ... (feels better too).
I, sir, reject your premise that GAS is in any way dark! I bet we all spend more on food and clothes and think about them more often. Does that make THEM the dark side? GAS is all about finding the LIGHT - cameras don't work without it!

-Ray

I, sir, reject your premise that GAS is in any way dark! I bet we all spend more on food and clothes and think about them more often. Does that make THEM the dark side? GAS is all about finding the LIGHT - cameras don't work without it!

-Ray

Oh, c'mon, just play along! :)

Dark is better ... you get to shoot electricity from your finger tips!

Wow thanks for all the replies guys, I don't know why but I'm not getting my subscribed thread notifications? :( - I check out my user CP after.

Firstly thanks for all the humor, haha, other forums I would have gotten crucified or started world war 3!

Some interesting points/posts here, and I'll try to reply to most of them, please don't be offended if I don't reply to your posts :)

Herman

I just got one digital cam myself: a DP. I often take a G1 with me which belongs to ...my wife.
Guess I need a wide zoom camera, I'm addicted to ultra zoom, but which one you suggest?
By buying we keep the (Japanese) economy going as well as ours don't we.
No, I'm not a frequent buyer / seller, to me it's much more fun to get out and shoot...even laundry...

Well Herman, I said nothing about gear BORROWING addictions :D haha maybe we can start of a new trend and borrow (mayb long term ;)) gear that we lust after ;-)

Don (Streetshooter) - Doh! I missed the start of the image quest, but will get on it soon :D

Armando you're not going to break the news that "Vince, I am your father" too are you? haha I've nearly fallen off the wagon, I bought a Sigma 30mm 1.4 instead of the DA40mm - i'm just used to the 31/30mm focal length from my FA31. The siggy is better than reviews have you believe, I'll have some photos up and ready in the next few days, i've uploaded 100-ish and need to do description etc.

Country Parson - good point that one camera can't do everything, particularly those with fixed lenses. It just depends what needs doing i guess, I did say something along the lines of think what type of photos you want to take, and keep the gear you need to do it :)

Ray interesting points, I guess part of the reason I had lots of GAS was because I couldnt find the right gear, the k5 isn't perfect for what I want, but nearly there, which is why I've got it and I'm sticking with it (for now). The day a interchangeable lens camera, which looks like a Leica (rangefinder looks), with EVF built in and can deliver good IQ and usability and lens line up, then I'll be sorted :D

Jono

Hi Vince
Don't worry - you're just suffering from a little bit of guilt - happens to all of us at one time or another. Especially at this time of year when nothing interesting is being announced.

You'll be fine again when the tiny new m4/3 camera with the built in EVF is announced.

It may well be guilt ;-) and that new little m43 with built in EVF camera will be extremely tempting! I guess I would jump back to m43 if the high ISO improves significantly and if the upcoming 25mm 1.4 and oly 12mm f/2 really delivers. 50mm and 24mm equivs are my all time fav focal lengths :) on pentax I have 45mm and 27mm, so not too far off...

Antonio

The way I see it, as long as you are not being financially irresponsible (buying cameras instead of paying the mortgage or depleting the kids' college fund) I fail to see the harm in buying camera equipment. The internet has made it very easy to sell 2nd hand equipment, so the loss in many cases is not that large, particularly with lenses. I have, in fact, sold lenses that I bought used for more money than they were bought for.

Enjoy the equipment you currently own, try not to have any illusions that any specific piece of equipment will magically turn you into a better photographer, but don`t be afraid to indulge yourself every so often. And, do it without guilt.

Regards,

Antonio

Wise words that everyone should follow, GAS or not, and applies to other hobbies too :)

Bill

I'm in sell mode at the moment - let's see how long I can hang onto the cash! Vince congrats on getting to where you are now, but some of us have been there at least once before - stay strong.

Thanks Bill, I'm succeeding at the moment - I'll be sure to start a thread if I fail, so I can get a telling off ;-)

Defektive

I came to the same conclusion recently and sold 3 Pentax camera bodies, 7 or 8 lenses, flash etc and bought an M8, a 24mm and a 50mm. That's it until I can afford a 35mm and possibly way down the track an 80ish. I'm happy. I have enrolled in a 24 week online photography course so that I can pour time into improving my technique rather than my gear.(y)

Great idea, I hope the photography course is going well - be sure to post some results! :)

BB

In all seriousness, I do agree with all who've written about finding the proper fit or match between what sort of camera works best - that has absolutely been my own GAS, in the past.

True, I think there are two types of GAS - 1. searching for the right kit, that fits your needs and 2. buying kit that you want, not essential but nice to have because its the new version, looks cooler, etc.

Martin

Hi Vince,
I want you to know that I have bookmarked your post and I intend to come back and live by it in 10yrs or so.
Im new to this photography lark and am looking forward to hopelessly throwing myself into the joys of GAS until I come out the other side broke and alot wiser..
:)

Thanks - hope you enjoy it while it lasts. I guess due to my past buying and selling because of GAS, I'm a little broke and wiser because I'm just tired of selling and buying gear which seemed to waste my time to the extent i spent more time buying/selling and waiting for or sending gear off, that I just didn't take any photos!

Thanks BB, it seems to take forever for me to get through post processing, uploading and describing photos and doing tags. They're already uploaded onto flickr, but hidden until i sort descriptions out so it won't be too long now :) There's alot of travel/daily snapshots, a few where i've tried to be creative, and a little coverage of Manchester United vs Juventus (a game in stars such as David Beckham, Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes played in).

I have to say I've been a little lazy coming online since exams have finished though :tongue: hope to become more active though :)

Armando you're not going to break the news that "Vince, I am your father" too are you? haha I've nearly fallen off the wagon, I bought a Sigma 30mm 1.4 instead of the DA40mm - i'm just used to the 31/30mm focal length from my FA31. The siggy is better than reviews have you believe, I'll have some photos up and ready in the next few days, i've uploaded 100-ish and need to do description etc.

You have already fallen off. It's not a "nearly"! :)

Yes, the dark side is so much more fun. If you you won't join the dark side, perhaps Emily will! Muhahahahaha!

A lot of folks at the Pentax forum like the Siggy 30/1.4. I was very tempted to get it as well. But I'm pretty happy with the FA35/2. The FA35 is the only lens for the K-5 so far that I'm happy with after having bought and returned the DA15, DA21, FA43, FA100, DA18-135, Siggy 17-50, and Tamron 17-50. Currently trying out the DA*55. Getting mixed feelings about it as well.

Wow armando, thats a crazy amount of lens testing! I guess my GAS and UK stores are both lucky that we don't have such generous returns/try out policies as you do in the states. Othewise I would have tried out the whole pentax lens line up, up to around 100mm, and most of Canon's L glass too!

As for Emily, she seems smitten with the GXR still, and won't look twice at the K5 or any other DSLR! so pretty gas proof for now. She'll be signing up shortly, so it'll be interesting to see how the forum affects her! ;-) (take this as a hidden challenge to start her off on GAS, so I can borrow from her!!)

Back