A New Start: Let's get over our gear buying addictions!

There are some lenses I still want and I will eventually upgrade my E-PL1 as soon as there is a new game-changing camera seeing the light. I don't think that this is GAS. Buying lenses which I actually use is no symptom of GAS and upgrading a body with a significantly better one which changes the game for me isn't a symptom of GAS, either. I don't know the specifications yet, but I suspect that the E-P3 won't be able to change the game for me that much, although it should be significantly better than my E-PL1. Thus I should wait at least for the E-P4. However, I am sure that I will be very tempted when the E-P3 is announced, which will only be no symptom of GAS, if Olympus is very innovative with the E-P3 (which I hope).

Glad to hear that you're not suffering from GAS, Christian! I'm know how uncomfortable it can be...that pressure to always be thinking about the "next meal" so to speak.

One of the things about GAS, I think, is that it can give one a sense of excitement and adventure. Perhaps Anticipation is a symptom of GAS, though it doesn't always develop into a full fledged GAS attack. I'm teasing you! That said, I know the excitement I have felt in anticipation of a new lens (back in my mu43 days) and of a new camera - and it kind of reminds me just a bit of the initial pangs of infatuation...you know, that stage of being in love... Infatuation fades, but mature love lives on and can be enhanced. I think that's what you've found with your Olympus and the lenses that you have found that enable you to make the images that you're after - for that you have my admiration and congratulations!:friends:

I think I just farted, and it was a BIIIIIG fart!

I actually sold two cameras and a few lenses in the last several days, to be replaced by one camera and one lens sometime in the next couple of months. And now I'm down to two fixed lens cameras (X100 and GRD3) that I shoot with a lot and an LX5 for backup.

I didn't intend to do all of this right now. Once Olympus announced their new Pens and the first user reports started coming in, I realized I was gonna get one, almost certainly the EPL3, and that I'd eventually probably sell the GH2 and Nex because the Oly sounds like it combines the best and most important features (for ME - super fast AF, flip up screen, compatible with VF2, small and unobtrusive, etc) of each into one camera that will cost less than either. It won't have quite the IQ or low light capability of the Nex, but that's what the X100 is for and I've always been plenty happy with the IQ of my m43 gear. And I already have almost all of the glass I'd ever want for it. But I figured it'd be a while before I sold much. And then I saw a WTB ad for a GH2 body only. I had one I rarely used and realized that I could still do really really well on resale and if I wait until after there's a decent supply of those, G3s, and the new Olys out there, the value will probably come down a lot. So I offered my GH2 up and sold it and when all was said and done, I essentially paid $50 "rent" for the six months or so I had and used that camera. Not bad. Then I realized that I might as well sell my Nex gear because I haven't shot with it much since April when I got the X100 and its value is still pretty good too but will probably drop pretty fast once the Nex 7 is announced. So I put that up for sale and got a fair price for it - I didn't do as well as I did on the GH2, but I got a lot more use out of the Nex for the few months it was my primary camera. Its 2 1/2 lenses (soon to be an unpopular TV show) went with it. And I sold a really nice Voigtlander 50mm lens for essentially the same thing I paid for it (but threw in a couple of adapters for nex and m43) because I realized I'd be happier with the AF capability of the new Olympus 45 f1.8 - hopefully the bokeh will also be nice enough (the Voigtlander was beautiful in this respect).

So I'm down a bunch of gear and none of my m43 lenses have anywhere to go or anything to do to feel useful, so they live in the corner and weep for now. And I've taken in faaaaar more on this gear than I'll spend on an EPL3 and the new 45mm lens. I suppose I could also buy the new Olympus 12mm, but I don't think I want it. I think a 28mm FOV is wide enough for any street shooting I like to do (a combination of 28mm and 35mm seems to cover it all for me - hence the GRD3 and X100). And I've got the wide end covered for non-street applications in the 9-18.

I've barely shot with my m43 gear at all in the past several months - occasionally I've taken the GH2 out with either a telephoto or a fast lens when I had a shoot that it was appropriate for, but I never loved that camera so I didn't grab it often. And yet, now that I suddenly DON'T HAVE an m43 body to use those fine lenses with, I feel the lack acutely! I want one! I know I can and will easily wait until August or September or whenever the EPL3 hits the street, but I feel a small empty-ness in that corner of the camera shelf. This is very odd. I look forward to the EPL3 and I know I'll use it a good deal more than the GH2 and the Nex (recently - I used it a LOT for a while and I think I'll use that flip screen on the epl3 more with the wider selection of decent glass), but suddenly I miss having those capabilities. We're odd creatures, or at least I am one.

So I just got rid of a lot of gas, but I look forward to eating my beans over the next couple of months so I'll have a good supply by the time the EPL3 comes around.

-Ray

I too have a hankering for the EP3 or EPL3! I find that I don't use the Fuji X100 very much, in fact it's the last one I would go for from my camera arsenal ;) It takes great pictures but once again the fixed fov is not for me. I now have a spare K5, Leica X1 and Fuji X100 to find homes for. Like you, I didn't really love the GH2 and traded it in for a K5. Great IQ and DR but just too bulky for discreet days out. This leaves me with the Ricoh GXR and the only thing about the 50mm that I find irritating is the focus speed. It's just not fast enough. By the time it's trundled through the motions, the moment has gone. So, here I go again :(

I too have a hankering for the EP3 or EPL3! I find that I don't use the Fuji X100 very much, in fact it's the last one I would go for from my camera arsenal ;) It takes great pictures but once again the fixed fov is not for me. I now have a spare K5, Leica X1 and Fuji X100 to find homes for. Like you, I didn't really love the GH2 and traded it in for a K5. Great IQ and DR but just too bulky for discreet days out. This leaves me with the Ricoh GXR and the only thing about the 50mm that I find irritating is the focus speed. It's just not fast enough. By the time it's trundled through the motions, the moment has gone. So, here I go again :(

I was recently looking at the K5 for the reasons you outline Christilou, but then I think, even though it is "compact" will I really use it that much? I have an EP3 on pre-order and expect that I'd use that much more. I'll probably sell a couple of my Olympus DSLR lenses that I no longer use. I'm debating whether or not to sell my Sigma DP cameras.

I downsized a lot a few months ago, leaving me with just my M4/3 camera and lenses. For what I shoot (and how I shoot) I do need interchangeable lenses. I do miss my 5D and L glass. Amazing results, but I don't pine for it. My change was not so much about gear directly, but about focusing my choices and exploring my photography. Having a simpler set-up means my thoughts are on what i do with it, not on having the right gear. It's been fun, and liberating.

I am interested in the Nex 7, but don't like the Sony lens line-up, or indeed physical size. I will likely stick with m4/3 for the foreseeable future, and review things when the rumoured next generation GF comes out.

I feel I now have a better balance between GAS and actually making photographs.

I feel I now have a better balance between GAS and actually making photographs.

I have not had time to take pictures in weeks. Oh, how I miss it! In the meantime I browse photobooks and admit to reading about gear and pondering the right combination, pointless without the time to use it. But vacation is coming up and I'll should have moments here and there. And boy, how much I need a vacation!!!

Ahhh ... so nice to see people suffering from GAS and the dilemas of having too many cameras! It makes me happy!!! :D

Armando, I think of you every day as I walk the streets...well, as I walk the sidewalks mostly with my dog...and I see the GAS signs all over...
5793820905_fe6c13b8f4_b.jpg

and I start laughing.

Believe it or not, I've slowed down. If you check my flickr page you'll see most of the cameras I have, many of which are high-end compacts, but also include some stupidly pricey larger cameras. It has only been this year that I am NOT desperately hankering after a new camera. In the preceding few years I have gone from one compact to another, always keeping them because they all do something that the other cannot. I think that a lot of my GAS came from wanting to shoot with a certain kind of camera in particular circumstances. Now I've got so many that just about all of my wants have been met!

For example:

- Ricoh GRD III is my silent museum camera. Stealthy and quiet, it hides in the folds of my scarf and emerges to take a photo when no one is looking, and then it disappears just as quickly. I used to use the Canon S70 for this but the AF was crap in low light. I moved to the Canon G10 later but it has that darn Power light on the top, and is quite large in comparison. I tried the Sigma DP1, and while it is super quiet and has a wide angle lens, the AF was poor and low light/high ISO photos were terrible. I tried using manual focus with all of these cameras but the implementation was too clumsy. The GRD III focuses very well in low light, takes wonderful photos in low light for a small sensor camera, and also has a very good manual focus implementation when it's needed.

- The Ricoh GXR and the 28 and 50 modules are my general everyday camera. I used to carry a Canon 30D DSLR every day in my shoulder bag. I took thousands of photos with it and eventually upgraded to a 5D Mark II, which I found just that bit too large to take everywhere. After some time, I came to realize that what I liked the most was not necessarily speed or zoom range, but excellent image quality in wide angle and medium lens. I used the Sigma DP1 and DP2 as a two-camera combo for a long time, and while they gave me many wonderful photos with a unique look, the GXR+28+50 is much faster, easier to handle, and produces much better high ISO images. Higher ISO is very important to me as I shoot a lot in natural / low light. So I can quite happily use the GXR as a general purpose camera, but NOT as a quiet museum camera as it is relatively noisy.

- I use the Leica M9 a heck of a lot, and it covers levels of image quality and versatility that the GXR cannot, and yet vice versa, too. I get the best low ISO images from the M9 compared with any other camera I have. I can use my collection of Zeiss, Voigtlander and Leica lenses. And I get to enjoy the rangefinder shooting experience. But it won't do low light as well as the GXR; it doesn't have AF so there goes shooting from the hip without setting the lens; it is louder than the GXR so I can't use it in certain places; and it cost me an arm, leg and kidney, so taking it to some places is a bit risky. But I absolutely love it, and it is my favourite camera, with the GXR close behind.

The only thing that none of these cameras do well is video. I usually take the Canon S90 when I want decent pocket video, but I am currently borrowing a friend's Sony HX5V. It is stunning for video, and I have read that the HX7V is even better. But the S90 suits me for most purposes and is smaller than the HX series cams. So all of my bases are covered. I have a small and silent camera in the GRD III. I have a super general purpose camera in the GXR. And when I really want to bring it on, I have the M9.

All of my other cameras have either gone to family members or are only used when needed. I shoot shop interiors, products and promotional video for a living, so the 5D Mark II plus assortment of zooms and primes takes care of this. But filling all of my most likely needs has lead me to drop the GAS. Heck, I even passed on the Fuji X100 when I got that call!

Leica, however, will be unveiling a new compact interchangeable lens system in the next year. We shall see what happens then! :D

Archiver, it's good to hear from you! I'm glad you've been happy and content with your collection of cameras - plus, it's interesting to read what has drawn and held you to each one.

Yes, next year's Leica offering will definitely be causing a stir. I can almost hear the drums across the Atlantic.;)

Totally agree abt next years leica offering! BUT for now I'm winning against my GAS, haven't bought or sold any new gear the past few months since writing this! :D

I guess I've just been shooting with what I've got, and realised its all that I really need - I just need to put up with the weight.

All I really want is perhaps a waterproof lens in the range of 50mm equiv, but for Pentax it doesn't seem like its coming soon... better for my wallet I suppose.

The 21mm limited might go soon - just doesn't get used. For me it seems that all i need is just a fast 50equiv and a good quality, reliable zoom.

Have to say I do have a hard time controlling gas attacks when reasonably priced chrome leica m8s become available - just too sexy...

Oh I did check out a X100, quite nice but I was expecting a better build quality - just looked more classy and tougher in photos than in real life, though I'd probably have bought it if it had interchangeable lenses!

I got caught up in the excitement over all the new Olympus products, and I still think the E-P3 is very tempting. However, I'm no longer set on buying any of the new stuff. My personal reasons:

Pana 14 > Oly 12 because I prefer the 14mm angle of view and also prefer the smaller size and lighter weight

Pana 20 > Pana Leica 25 because I love the 20 in large part because of the size and weight

With regards to Oly 45 vs PL 45 and Oly E-P3 vs Pana GH2, I can think of many reasons to prefer either one versus the other and decided to just stick with what I've got since I do love both the PL45 and the GH2.

Multiple pre-orders canceled here in the Sabet residence. I feel good about it, and our CFO feels even better.

But I *have* to get a new camera!

beacause the K7 died in a fall and broke all the internal chasis mounts - ouch! Not to mention the saltwater intrusion... sold it for spares.

So now I am getting an Oly E-P3 - around end of month I'm told now. Couldn't wait longer for the E-PL3 (due September) and I've been put off that one by the Sony-style tilty LCD - much prefer the swivel as used on my A630 Powershot. And the P3 has the flash built-in and the two control dials and I'm really looking forward to the touch screen for target selection and shooting without using the shutter button (good for candids I hope).

So I'm not an addict, it just all these cameras keep getting broken

Bringing this one back up for some fresh air. Who doesn't need a good clean dose?

While wasting time and procrastinating, I stopped over to DPreview and saw this: 'Letting Go of the Camera': Olivier Duong concludes look at gear addiction: Digital Photography Review. From their I clicked on the link to Olivier Duong's article here Letting go of the camera: The action steps I took to break free from gear addiction - Olivier "F8" Duong | Documentary & Street Photography and began reading. There are several parts to his essay and I'm still reading, and thought I'd share them with you all.

Back