1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

a plea to image posters

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by pdh, Nov 23, 2012.

1. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Can I make a plea to anyone and everyone who hosts their pictures at Flickr ...

When you copy and paste into the image threads here, please please can you use the "BBCODE" option rather than the "html" option.

The reason being that - due to a shortcoming in Forum Runner - if you use html the picture can't be seen in forum runner, just the code.

Thanks

• Like Like x 8
  2. Yeats

Yeats SC All-Pro

Jul 31, 2012
    New Jersey, USA
    Chris
    • Like Like x 4
  3. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Yep, just like that Yeats

• Like Like x 1
  4. Yeats

Yeats SC All-Pro

Jul 31, 2012
    New Jersey, USA
    Chris
    Excellent, I was one of the guilty ones :redface: so now I've made the BBCODE my default.

Thanks for giving a clue to those of us who were ignorant! :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Xuereb

Xuereb SC Veteran

Nov 5, 2010
    W. Australia
    May it please the Court, I plead guilty of the offence. Duly chastised and having been relieved of my ignorance I have now made amends and undertake not to repeat the offence.

• Like Like x 2
  6. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Oh heavens, I wasn't scolding!
    No need to feel guilty, no reason why anyone who doesn't use FR would know any difference.

7. Ripleysbaby

Ripleysbaby supernatural anesthetist

Sep 9, 2011
    Cumbria UK
    Garry
    • Like Like x 4
  8. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    I'm giving this a bump as there's been a flurry of postings recently using HTML (not just from Flickr) and for some people on some platforms it buggers up the aspect ratio of the images completely.

Use BBCODE, and everybody's happy ... even the curmudgeons

9. ReD

ReD SC Hall of Famer

Mar 27, 2013
    must admit I don't have the problems you are experiencing
    Not sure what HTML is or where & when it applies
    Does this apply to Photobucket images ? (ie mine) ?

10. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    I am typing this while standing in the corner, for I have sinned :(

HTML is HyperText Markup Language, whike BBCode, as I recall, stands for Bulletin Board (Code). When you link to your image from Flikr, Ipernity or the like, it often defaults to HTML, which is less "universal" BBCode is more consistent in handling of images across platforms.

Sent from another Galaxy

11. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Thanks Bill.

As there's been such a noticeable rush of this, I'm wondering if as part of the post-hack maintenance Amin has removed some plugins or enhancements that have made this an issue again (it hasn't been a problem for months, and I can't believe every single post has been BBCODE only in that time)

12. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    It's worth the regular reminder, I think ;)

Sent from another Galaxy

• Like Like x 2
  13. TheRubySusan

TheRubySusan SC Top Veteran

Sep 2, 2013
    Henry, IL
    Ruby
    Flickr just offers me one choice, "Grab the HTML/BBCode" Are mine coming through OK?

14. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    and if you click on that, then you can select the BBCode or the HTML....check the BBcode box on the right below the size choice dropdown menu. And if the left box was pre-filled in, after you select BBcode, you should refresh the page to make sure you have the BBcode. It's kinda convoluted unfortunately, but it is a better format that is better for more "systems" of viewing.

15. TheRubySusan

Sep 2, 2013
    Henry, IL
    Ruby
    I'm not getting my notifications, either since the hack or since a few days after it, so it took me forever to find this - Sorry! I only get one choice. There is nothing beside the size drop down menu. I'll see if a different browser behaves better.

16. TheRubySusan

Sep 2, 2013
    Henry, IL
    Ruby
    Wait! There are two buttons I thought had to do with image size. I finally see they change the code. The one on the right gives a code beginning with [url. So I'm assuming that's the BB Code. (It's amazing I've made it this far into the 21st century!)

17. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    @TheRubySusan --

Flickr should be displaying the options like this:

bbcode.

So you need to click the selection next to where it says "BBCODE"

18. TheRubySusan

Sep 2, 2013
    Henry, IL
    Ruby

This is a hoot. In three different browsers, the HTML BBCode print is so grey I didn't see it was there until I cropped the screen shot. Thanks for all your patience with my seemingly inexplicable inability to understand this!

bbcode1.

19. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Hmm it sounds more like your display settings need attention rather than it being a browser problem. Perhaps needs the contrast boosting a bit

20. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    in her shot, the blacks are black and the grays below are gray, but the type on the html/ BBcode is definitely lighter than the gray below......strange.