A question for cloudscape photographers

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by Jock Elliott, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Jock Elliott

Jock Elliott SC All-Pro

Jan 3, 2012
    Troy, NY
    What is your favorite camera and lens (focal length) combination? Do you have a favorite setup that you use?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Cheers, Jock

2. hannahntilly

hannahntilly SC Regular

Apr 13, 2012
    Surrey, UK
    Peter
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I would say your FZ is the cloudscape king. The focal length is kinda dictated by the clouds and the composition. Seems I have a number of them using a 50mm (ff equivalent), but some I zoom in more.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jock Elliott

Jock Elliott SC All-Pro

Jan 3, 2012
    Troy, NY
    Lovely!

Cheers, Jock

5. Chris2500dk

Chris2500dk SC Top Veteran

Dec 22, 2011
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Foveon, Foveon, Foveon.

• Like Like x 2
  6. grebeman

grebeman Old Codgers Group

Jul 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    I tend to be at least one step behind the latest camera/sensor, so I still use a GF1 or GH2. Certainly for the GF1 when using a digitally designed lens, I will meter the brightest part of a cloud with a spot meter and then reduce the exposure by two stops, at most 2.5 stops. However I am getting the feeling that certain adapted lenses are better at controlling highlights and I was quite impressed with my latest, a Nikon 20mm, f/4 tested the other day on a GH2. I had to often overexpose on the cameras meter by 2/3 of a stop and found it much easier to control the highlights.

Great_Luscombe_windblown_trees_1070764.

[​IMG]

I'm wondering if the modern lenses are of rather higher inherent contrast which leads to more difficulty in controlling highlights.

Back in my roll film days I used a Voigtlander 6x9 roll film camera with a 105mm lens, then a Mamiya Press with a 6x9 back and a 90mm lens. These equate to something in the 43mm-45mm equivalent on 35mm film. I'm very tempted by the latest Sigma Merrills as a means of hopefully achieving the quality those old roll film cameras gave me for black and white landscape work.

So I guess the equivalent of 24mm to 45mm in 35mm terms for landscapes/cloudscapes.

Barrie

• Like Like x 4
  7. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    What Sue said. Camera doesn't matter - focal length depends on the shot and the clouds. Processing can make them unreal and dramatic or real and subtle or just a very literal translation. I tend to exaggerate the heck out of them and go for drama, one way or the other. In color, I pull all sorts of texture out of them and go with grain. In B&W, I play with color filters and some texture (that's "structure" in Silver Efex Pro) to bring 'em out. One of each below, arguably overdone but the way I tend to like 'em...

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/7787705810/" title="LBI 8/12 by ramboorider1, on Flickr"> 7787705810_9dab6c2501_b. "1024" height="683" alt="LBI 8/12"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/8274777653/" title="LX7 by ramboorider1, on Flickr">[​IMG]"1024" height="683" alt="LX7"></a>

-Ray

• Like Like x 3