a quick question about LTM/M adapters

Discussion in 'Leica M Forum' started by pdh, Mar 11, 2012.

1. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Am I correct in thinking that a Leica LTM/M adapter marked "9cm" will correctly mount any LTM lens on an M-body? (saving those lenses whose rear elements are too "deep")
    And that the only difference between these adapters will be whether they automatically bring up the correct framelines on bodies that support this?
    (so for a camera such as the Bessa where framelines are manually selected, any old LTM/M adapter will do?)

thanks in advance

2. grebeman

grebeman Old Codgers Group S.C. Charter Member

Jul 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    Paul,

The only purpose of the LTM/M adapter is to select the correct framelines on a Leica body, so the answer is YES, any adapter will serve on your Bessa R2A to mount any focal length lenses since you select the framelines, not the adapter.

Barrie

• Like Like x 2
  3. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Well, it also serves to allow a 39mm threaded lens to be mounted on a M-bayonet body, :smile:

4. grebeman

Jul 13, 2010
    Barrie
    OK, sticky tape not really recommended, I will write out 100 times, precision, precision, precision

• Like Like x 1
  5. BillN

BillN SC Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 25, 2010
    S W France
    Bill
    I think that the frame lines come in "pairs" on each adapter - must look at mine - I have a couple

• Like Like x 1
  6. grebeman

Jul 13, 2010
    Barrie
    They do Bill, but Paul is using a Bessa R2A, there you select the framelines manually with a switch, the lenses or adapters are not required to perform that function.

Barrie

• Like Like x 1
  7. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    yes they generally do, so far as I can see (28/90, 35/135, 50/75) but the one I'm looking at (on eBay) just has "9cm" on it ... perhaps that marks it out as a vintage piece ?

(I realised that I have the CV 28/1.9 in LTM so it would be nice to use it on the Bessa, though it works beautifully on the E-P2; of course I won;t have framelines or a viewfinder, but, hey, I can guess ...)

8. grebeman

Jul 13, 2010
    Barrie
    Paul,

According to the book I'm looking at the adapter was introduced when the first bayonet Leica, the M3 was introduced, and there were three of them marked 50, 90 and 135 which would suit the framelines of the M3, so yes, an early example by the sounds of it.

Barrie

• Like Like x 1
  9. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    aha.

thanks

10. Armanius

Armanius Bring Jack back!

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    Paul, I may have an extra screw mount to M adapter lying around somewhere. I think it brings up the 50/75 frame line. PM your address and I'll mail it to you, IF I can find it.

• Like Like x 1
  11. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Bless you, Armando !