1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A reminder/warning: don't let the winter fuel your GAS

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by wt21, Dec 4, 2013.

1. wt21

wt21 SC Hall of Famer

Aug 15, 2010
    Looking at my recent pictures, got me thinking "hey, I wonder if a new lens/system switch would help"

Then I remembered what I promised to remind myself last year, about this time.

Winter is a terrible time to switch gear. Grey light is the main problem. Cloudy days. Drab, dead backgrounds. weather you prefer not to venture out in.

Don't let the winter trick you into changing gear! It's a fools errand. Your pictures will look better in the spring.

This public service message brought to you by Rolaids anti-GAS tablets

:)

• Like Like x 14
  2. entropic remnants

entropic remnants SC All-Pro

Mar 3, 2013
    John Griggs
    You're quite right but I'm only picking up an X-E2 for the AF speed and EV comp dial improvements. My photos will be pretty much the same with the 16mp X-Trans as my OTHER 16mp X-Trans cameras, lol.

But you're quite right about the challenge of winter photography for many of us. I don't have my lovely "crutch" of the steel mill anymore so I'll be looking for other avenues myself.

That said, sometimes the winter light is very nice for some things. Yin and Yang.

• Like Like x 3
  3. staticantics

staticantics SC Regular

Oct 15, 2013
    Central California
    Chris
    Winter light is the best for Black and White, go monochrome! :smile:

• Like Like x 7
  4. Yeats

Yeats SC All-Pro

Jul 31, 2012
    New Jersey, USA
    Chris
    Yes, Winter provides unique photographic opportunities... like when you find your best muskrat friend throws a house party for all the local ducks, but you're not invited... /bitter

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 13
  5. Yeats

Yeats SC All-Pro

Jul 31, 2012
    New Jersey, USA
    Chris
    Oh yeah, I'm anticipating 2 new lenses this Christmas... but I just sold an oldie, and may sell another, so I won't actually have more gear.

• Like Like x 4
  6. wt21

wt21 SC Hall of Famer

Aug 15, 2010
    Agreed, and I've been shooting quite a bit of that lately. Another help is the planned trip we've got after Christmas to Florida.

• Like Like x 1
  7. drd1135

drd1135 SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I'm trying to work myself up to connecting my purchases to my photography output. :smile: My winter problem is that I just spend more time on the computer. I try to avoiding buying after the holiday sales are over.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    Winter is definitely a bad time for GAS. I just bought a camera I don't need and now I need to buy a lens or two (or at the very least an adapter). Is there a way to visit the website and not see the "buy & sell" section?

• Like Like x 3
  9. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    How is one to stay warm through the cold winter without gas? It's a utility!

-Ray

• Like Like x 5
  10. Biro

Biro SC All-Pro

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    With the onslaught of the Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales (which only coincidentally resulted in my purchase of a Fuji X10), I have initiated a new policy that I aim to keep: For every new camera I buy, two cameras that I own must go. In this case, both my Sony WX300 and Oly TG-820 are now gone.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    some rule that is..... you could still buy 6 more cameras!

• Like Like x 2
  12. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    I'm thinking of starting a Fuji museum.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Biro

Biro SC All-Pro

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    True, but my finances will prevent that from happening very quickly. :frown: Maybe an Oly Stylus 1 in the first quarter of 2014. After that, there's no real urgency to buy for me. Eventually, I'd like to have one of the big Fuji X-cams.

14. Tilman Paulin

Tilman Paulin SC Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2011
    Dublin, Ireland
    On the plus side winter is also the time of late sunrises and early sunsets.
    Very convenient for sleepyheads like myself and for catching a sunset before going home to a hot cup of tea/coffee...

If you're in a city you can take gritty city shots. The early darkness means wonderful opportunities to catch colorful city lights.
    And throughout the day the soft light brings out colours and you don't have to worry about harsh sunlight...

At home you might have moody candlelight and nice Holiday decorations to play with...

Maybe invest in some new photographic gear like a warm coat, good gloves, warm boots, etc. instead of a new camera? ;)
    (That being said, all the Holiday deals definitely make it hard to resist... :)

I quickly assembled a flickr set of shots taken in November-February. There's some I really like and which are definitely moodier than most of my "summer pictures".
    In the words of Calvin and Hobbes: "There's treasure everywhere" :)
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tilman_paulin/sets/72157638386060735/

• Like Like x 4
  15. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Excellent policy, wish I would do something like that.

16. BBW

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Tilman - thanks for that link! I've just begun looking but that first one of your wife (?) made a big grin spread across my face!

You're so right about winter for those of us who're in that season.
    Last night I had my trusty X100 out to photograph a close up of a "mercury" candle... When I get my iPad Air or finally hook up by external hard drive for LR, we'll see how she turned out. Candle light is also oh so flattering!:wink:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Tilman Paulin

Nov 15, 2011
    Dublin, Ireland
    Thanks BB, glad you liked it! :) My wife doesn't always appreciate to be photographed (I'm not the best portrait photographer to begin with), but I love to have her in my photos :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. BBW

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Well I think you're very good and she seems to me to be your muse. My husband puts up with everything I throw his way photographically - and I have some "doozies" of him. Not everyone has the self confidence to see themselves, but if they do it's a great thing.

• Like Like x 2
  19. wt21

wt21 SC Hall of Famer

Aug 15, 2010
    Tilman -- just peaked at your Flickr stream. Great work. Love the bat shots especially, but all are good.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Tilman Paulin

Nov 15, 2011
    Dublin, Ireland
    Thank you! :) It's a lot of work, but having memories of something beautiful preserved in photos is worth the effort...