1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

A Retro of Rangefinders

Discussion in 'Fuji X100 Forum' started by entropic remnants, Jul 30, 2013.

1. entropic remnants

entropic remnants SC All-Pro

Mar 3, 2013
    John Griggs
    A gaggle of Geese
    A pride of Lions
    A wake of Buzzards
    A brood of Hens

There are many collective idioms -- but what else could you call a group of rangefinders but a "retro"?

Can YOU spot the digital? Probably you can -- it's easier though when you can see the back, lol.

From left to right: Konica C35, Fuji X100, Minolta Hi-Matic E, and Ricoh "35". Yes, the 35 is in quotes on the Ricoh, lol. That is it's model name.

9403334153_f1f7e51ffe_b.
    A Retro of Rangefinders by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

2. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    as much as I love the x100......they missed a few small design cues. Still, I'm in love. Is this your new rig? And are the rest yours as well?

3. entropic remnants

Mar 3, 2013
    John Griggs
    Yes that's my new X100 and the rest are all part of my camera collection. I'm probably selling it off soon -- I'm not as interested in collecting as I was but I'll keep a few. I have probably 60+ film cameras, lol. I've shot the Hi-Matic E quite a bit even though it's full auto and has NO controls except to set the ISO and to focus, lol. But it takes fun pics and I live to use it.

Here's some stuff from the Minolta Hi-Matic if you're interested:

[​IMG]
    Getting a Temperature by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

4458948326_df0993fbcc_b.
    1971 Minolta HiMatic E: Wigged Out by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

4458169237_8f4ec6a120_b.
    1971 Minolta HiMatic E: NO! by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

4. LisaO

LisaO SC Regular

Jul 11, 2010
    Konica C35 was my first 35mm back in 1972. It was superseded in 1973 when I got a Nikkormat. I've got a C35 (I bought later on EBay) in my historical collection.

5. entropic remnants

Mar 3, 2013
    John Griggs
    Which Nikkormat? I still have an FTn.

6. retow

retow SC All-Pro

Jul 24, 2010
    That X100 for sure is destined to become a classic. Look how well it blends in. I can`t think of any other digital camera with such great looks.

7. LisaO

LisaO SC Regular

Jul 11, 2010
    I'm not sure anymore but I bought a replacement FTn 2 years ago in an antiques mall in Maine with manuals and several old lenses. I carried it around a shot with it a couple times since but it's so heavy.

8. entropic remnants

Mar 3, 2013
    John Griggs
    The only SLR I have which is heavier is the Konica AutoReflex T. Hard to believe there's anything heavier than an old Nikkormat -- but there is, lol.

9. Isoterica

Isoterica SC Hall of Famer

Dec 6, 2011
    Your X100 is missing an eye [can't discriminate!].. but other than that they look like cousins all posing for a pic!

10. entropic remnants

Mar 3, 2013
    John Griggs
    Ding ding ding! We have a winner! Ha ha, yes, that is the "tell" when you look at them. But truly, Fuji really got retro right AND nicely functional.

11. Isoterica

Isoterica SC Hall of Famer

Dec 6, 2011
    Indeed. I am debating swapping the GR for an X, while 28mm was even too narrow on vacation, i prefer a tighter crop. And yes that camera is damn fine to look at.